No announcement yet.

Just got a 1982 GS400E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock main jet is a 120 (or a 117.5) it depends where you look. The fiche at the dealer says 120 and my repair manual 117.5... Either way it's a 130 right now. The pods don't have a brand on them and were not oiled when I got the bike far as I could tell. Again, they came with the bike, I did not put them on.

As for choke making a difference to nurse a sick bike home like he mentioned, some CV carbed bikes have choke plates on them. That would make a difference as it would restrict airflow, no?
    Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2012, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      The reason why I ask if you were at WOT is because the mains provide so much fuel than any tiny amount provided by the fuel enrichment circuit (aka choke) is inconsequential.
      Aah yes, I clearly see your point, KK. Thank you for the explanation.

In all of my situations the "choke" has been an enrichener rather than a true choke.

In my situations I was able to close the choke after getting through the lower rpm range, and then could run up through WOT, but had to nurse the choke as traffic slowed down. I wouldn't recommend the practice.

My thought, prior to dude99 discovering he was running rich, not lean, was that 5000rpm wouldn't be WOT, and opening it up at the "crackling point" might help him get through it.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Good point. After I posted I considered the case of the throttle being just cracked open, and you are correct, it will richen the mixture considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by dude99 View Post
          Stock main jet is a 120 (or a 117.5) it depends where you look. The fiche at the dealer says 120 and my repair manual 117.5... Either way it's a 130 right now. The pods don't have a brand on them and were not oiled when I got the bike far as I could tell. Again, they came with the bike, I did not put them on.

As for choke making a difference to nurse a sick bike home like he mentioned, some CV carbed bikes have choke plates on them. That would make a difference as it would restrict airflow, no?
          Yes. In the old days a choke was a butterfly valve that closed off the air to the carbs. Not so with our CV carbs, which is why some are so sensitive about calling it a fuel enrichment circuit. Although it performs the same function as long as the throttle remains closed, its physical operation is quite different from the old way, where you can open the throttle and the butterfly valves still restrict the air.

O.K. Unfortunately, your pods are the biggest hindrance to tuning your carbs. While it can be done, it makes it significantly more difficult. If you can, get a pair of K&N or APE (a bit cheaper if they have them for your bike) pods.
          The jet sizes are in the ballpark for pods and a pipe. However, to get you going right now: You can't oil those pods, it will run too rich (duh, I think we figured that one out already).
          Since you are now able to do some WOT runs, it is time to do some plug chops. If you understand the concept, go ahead and do a couple with the 130s and report your results.

Comment

Will do some plug chops as soon as time allows. Rode it into school today though. Seems to run alright up to about 5000rpm, then burbles a bit but I can get through it now up to about 7500 where it clears up and revs smoothly...

Comment

Kool. Sounds like you are making progress.

Comment

Working...
              X