Just got a 1982 GS400E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got a 1982 GS400E

Hello all, I was in need of some transportation so I traded my dirt bike for a 1982 GS400E. Its in decent enough shape, although I'll have to do something about the previous owners rattle can job....
    Anyways it has an issue or two, the main one is one of the previous owners fitted pod filters and an after market 2 into 1 pipe and it will not rev past 5000 RPM, just breaks up and crackles. Pretty sure that it wasn't jetted up. I had a look at the needles and they were on the bottom clip, so someone at least knew that they had to richen it up. The previous owner just had the carbs cleaned at a local shop, and they are definitely spotless however I haven't been able to find out what the stock jets are in this so I know where to go. I did some reading and was thinking that going up 2 sized on the main should put me in the right range. Any thoughts? and yes I've already searched and read what I could find.
    On a side note is there a link somewhere to a repair manual for this bike? I haven't been able to find one.

This guy will overwhelm you with info- have food and drink close by.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Now thats a resource! thanks.

Comment

What size mains do you have in there right now? 100?

I can front you some 120s. That'll put you into the upper end of what you're going to need, but it's something to try without ordering in something you're not going to use.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Not sure whats in there at the moment, but I would imagine, based on the way its running, that its probably the stock jetting. Thanks for the offer for the jets, I love communities that share, seems I stumbled into a good one. Where abouts are you located?
          Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2012, 07:12 PM.

Comment

hmmm, seem to have an issue here. The repair manual lists the stock main as 117.5 however the fiche at the local dealer lists the stock as 120..... Which is it? can't really jet up if I don't know whats stock....

Comment

I'm right in the heart of the city, near City Hall, but I work at UBC.

Some of these model specs are a little nebulous. According the chart on BassCliff's page, 120 seems likely. That being said, even if it was 117.5, going up to 122.5 or 125 wouldn't be unrealistic for pods. If you pull your jets and you have something smaller than 120s in there, let me know and you can try mine.

I've heard various opinions on jets, but the majority have indicated that starting with the largest main jet and working your way down using plug chops is the safest way of going about your business. Makes sense to me, as an overly lean condition is more detrimental, more quickly than an overly rich condition.
              '83 GS650G

Comment

hmm, UBC is quite a ways from me, I'm out in mission.. oh well.. thanks for the offer though. My bike has pods as well as an after-market pipe... is 125 still a good starting place or should I go bigger?

Comment

Koolaid Kid and TCK (TheCafeKid) are good carb guys...and KK is on here quite a bit these days. TCK seems to be on a hiatus

A good rule of thumb is +2 for pods and +2 for a freer running header. So if you have both, then up four sizes, 117.5 to 127.5 would be the upper end. That sounds really large to me though. Just two sizes on the main would put you to 122.5. I suppose you could split the difference and start at 125 and take it from there. Jets are not that expensive, and seeing as you have a twin, cheaper yet.
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Just need a confirmation here, the main jets in my bike is a N100604 (Big flat round) right?

Comment

Not sure about your number, but the parts diagram at Boulevard suggests yours should have the 102.22 or small, round jets, and in a 115. OF course, that is for the '82 450. They have no listing for a 400E, but the 400 and 450s share the same carburetor type...BS34SS
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                        Not sure about your number, but the parts diagram at Boulevard suggests yours should have the 102.22 or small, round jets, and in a 115. OF course, that is for the '82 450. They have no listing for a 400E, but the 400 and 450s share the same carburetor type...BS34SS
                        Check the fiche at CMSNL (might be under GSX400) they were the same crabs but not have the same jets

CMSNL specializes in Honda Motorcycle Parts, Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts, Yamaha and Suzuki OEM and Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts for Classic Bikes, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Snowmobiles and more

Comment

Jet sizes

Originally posted by GS(X)400 View Post
                          Check the fiche at CMSNL (might be under GSX400) they were the same crabs but not have the same jets

http://www.cmsnl.com/
                          Doing a reverse part number lookup shows that the jets used in the GSX400 were/are the same as 40 other bikes (2wheelpros) and the 91 gsx1100G was one of them. JetsRus shows it matching your numbers, dude99 and that 120 is the stock size
                          '83 GS650G

Comment

Update, pulling the carbs apart.. it seems that there are 130 mains in it...

Comment

Looks like someone jetted it but did not go far enough

Comment

Working...
                              X