flooded motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flooded motor

i have an 1982 gs1100gl. i've been fighting with this thing for months now. the latest problem has been that after the bike sits up for a few days without being ran it will flood with fuel. i decided to pull the plug to change the oil and what i feared would happen did. i drained about 2 to 3 gallons of oil fuel mixture from my motor. i put new oil and gas in it along with some chemtool, mixed according to the directions on the bottle, and after a few times of the motor turning over it cranked right up and ran great. now its three days later and the bike wont start, im pretty sure that the fuel has once again gone into my motor and has flooded it again. im getting extremely frustrated with this bike since one day it will run fine and then a few days later it wont do jack crap. the only thing it did for me today was backfire hard as hell and scared the crap out of me. im assuming i have dirty carbs that are stuck open. ive also been lightly using starting fluid to try and crank the bike. any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Pull your fuel petcock and inspect it, fix it, or replace it. That is where all that the fuel is coming from. For some reason it is not shutting off the fuel to the carbs, hence flowing into the carbs past the needles and into the intake valve side etc etc. That much fuel sitting on top of the pistons will cause a hydraulic lock when you try to crank the motor.
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 09-19-2012, 06:02 PM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Get another petcock and recheck the float heights in each carb..and check BOTH floats in each one as well so they are the same.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Make sure the petcock is not on Prime. It must be left on Run or Reserve to avoid flooding the carbs and the engine.
        1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

thank you very much for the quick responses. i will check my floats but i didnt realize that the petcock had a prime position. im new to the gs scene, if it isnt obvious yet. i've left the dang thing on prime.....thanks again very much for the help. maybe i should add that to the "gs deadly sins" thread.........

Comment

Pull the lines from the back of the petcock and run long ones down into a seperate pop bottle for each one. Set the petcock in the ON position ( ON INSIDE THE CIRCLE ) and let it sit overnight and see if theres gas in the bottle in the morning.If so, then the petcock is bad and youll be able to tell if its going down the fuel supply or down the vacuum supply. ..if not your good to go. And yes gas can run down the vac line..thru the carb and fill the crankcase with fuel.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Also check the washers around the needle seats. These can fail and allow gas to flow regardless of the floats.

Comment

Put the valve in the correct position. If it don't leak then you don't need to do anything.(to the valve)
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I'm having the same issue with my #1 and #2 carbs, mine is also flowing out of the intake side of the carb as well as into the motor.

Comment

Working...
                  X