Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb question - airbox connection to carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb question - airbox connection to carbs?

So I just finished cleaning my carbs a few days ago. Got the bike all put back together and the first ride it seemed to be running SO much better.

Second ride the next day ... not so much. Was noticing a few symptoms:
    • Tough to get it happy at low idle (1200rpm)
    • Dropping idle, stalling at stops. Had to rev a bit to keep it alive at stop signs until it got nice and warmed up.
    • Idle increasing to nearly 2k rpm after hot (when parked in neutral)

So I poked around - and found a very obvious problem that I think is causing most of these issues. The airbox was not properly connected to 2 of the 4 carbs... like it had slipped off at the bottom. There was a gap there. This may seem like a dumb problem but I can't seem to get a good connection with the clamps. Every time I think It's on there, it seems like it will probably just vibrate off again after riding. Could have sworn I had them on there nice and tight at first.

Any tips for connecting these things so they won't budge? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Sounds like it's time for new carb boots. If they are hard --as in week old bagel hard-- it will be tough to retain good connection. Some folks have had success in soaking old boots in ATF to get them soft again.
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
      Sounds like it's time for new carb boots. If they are hard --as in week old bagel hard-- it will be tough to retain good connection. Some folks have had success in soaking old boots in ATF to get them soft again.
      Do you mean new intake boots? Or boots for the airbox side? The intake boots seemed OK to me when I had them off but maybe they are compounding the problem.

Comment

I think he meant air box boots, if those are the ones that are slipping off.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Yessir, airbox-to-carb boots. Are they soft 'n supple... or stiff 'n hard? (PG-13 comment)
          '80 GS1000ST
          '92 ZX-11

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            I think he meant air box boots, if those are the ones that are slipping off.
            Gotcha. I guess I didn't realize these were replaceable parts - looking at the fiche now, would i need 2x of part #2, and 2x of part #3 to replace these? It's hard to tell from the picture...

I'll try again before I replace, they did seem pretty pliable still to me. Only other weird thing I noticed was that the inner metal rings seemed like they had slipped out of place on a couple of them. Would this cause a problem? Here's a pic:

Comment

Yessir, airbox-to-carb boots. Are they soft 'n supple... or stiff 'n hard? (PG-13 comment)
              Hahaha, pretty sure they'd be considered soft n' supple. They seemed to flex quite a bit when I was putting the carbs back on. I also think I might have pushed the airbox too far back onto the main connection to the filter box (not sure on the terminology here ), then tightened it, thus not allowing enough slack to pull it forward onto the carbs.

I'll have to play around when I get home. And double check that the rubber is in good shape.

Comment

Ah-ha... Therein lies your problem. The split-rings need to be seated correctly. Sort of a bear to work 'em in, but that's what you need to do:

I've had luck by compressing the rings enough to overlap the split ends (about .25"), hold together with needle nose pliers or forceps, then place into boot grooves (lubricant, small screwdriver, and choice words will help). IIRC, the split in the ring should only have a couple mm's gap when nested properly. The boots will now be sealed to porthole edges in airbox.

And, yes, the boots you indicated on fiche are what you'll need if yours are rock hard. Good luck!
                '80 GS1000ST
                '92 ZX-11

Comment

Ah-ha... Therein lies your problem. The split-rings need to be seated correctly. Sort of a bear to work 'em in, but that's what you need to do:

I've had luck by compressing the rings enough to overlap the split ends (about .25"), hold together with needle nose pliers or forceps, then place into boot grooves (lubricant, small screwdriver, and choice words will help). IIRC, the split in the ring should only have a couple mm's gap when nested properly. The boots will now be sealed to porthole edges in airbox.

And, yes, the boots you indicated on fiche are what you'll need if yours are rock hard. Good luck!
                  Excellent, thank you for your advice. Guess it's time to take the airbox off when I get home! Hopefully I won't have to remove the carbs to do it

Comment

Hi,

During reassembly make sure all of the surfaces are clean. Any grease or oil may allow the boots to slip off the carbs. Make sure the airbox is properly positioned. You may also want to replace the O-clamps because thay can get stretched by years of over-tightening.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi,

During reassembly make sure all of the surfaces are clean. Any grease or oil may allow the boots to slip off the carbs. Make sure the airbox is properly positioned. You may also want to replace the O-clamps because thay can get stretched by years of over-tightening.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                      I was thinking that the clamps may be stretched. Is OEM the only viable choice for these if I find it to be an issue?

Comment

There are two issues with going aftermarket clamps:
                        First, OEM clamps are quite narrow. Doubt you will be able to find aftermarket units that narrow.
                        Second, most aftermarket clamps are the screw type, with grooves cut into them. These grooves will cut into your rubber, which is a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          There are two issues with going aftermarket clamps:
                          First, OEM clamps are quite narrow. Doubt you will be able to find aftermarket units that narrow.
                          Second, most aftermarket clamps are the screw type, with grooves cut into them. These grooves will cut into your rubber, which is a bad thing.
                          Roger that. I'll see if I'm still having an issue and order new OEM ones if needed.

Comment

I am having to go through my air box as well, though i have a lot more issues then you have with yours. I am jealous by the way, i wish mine was in as good of condition as yours. Anyway to my question...

Those inner rings for the air box boots, are they there to help seal the boot to the box? Or do they go over where the boots connect to the carbs?

Mine is all torn up and when you look at my thread you will see what i mean.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Thanks!

Comment

I'll let someone else answer that since I'm new to this too - but the rings seem to be for helping to connect the boot to the airbox body. I don't think the carbs slide into them... could be wrong.

Also if you look at this fiche it seems that my airbox is quite a bit simpler than yours. Good luck man! Let me know how it turns out. Yours seems to have quite a few more parts

Comment

Working...
                              X