different tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

different tanks

Hi y'all. Can anyone tell me for sure if a petrol tank from a 1980 GSX750ET (phone home) will fit a GS750?. Having trouble finding a replacement tank for my GS hybrid that isn't full of rust and nasty things inside and have a line on a good GSX tank.
    Thanks.

First, a GSX is a GS from another country. Speaking of another country, in which country are you residing? What is the year/model of the GS750 of which you reference? All this stuff can be included in your signature if you select UserCP in the upper left menu items. Then you would not have to wait for a patient person such as myself to ask.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and your outstanding patience. I'm in the uk where a GS is a four valve engine and GSX a 16 valve! The bike i need the tank for is '77 GS, they didn't get a model defenition until '79 so it's just a GS750.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2012, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the picture references, they certainly look swappable, couldn't really add much more info', GS75O's in the UK are, body wise all the same so years and models don't matter, for us all the GSX's had 16 valve motors and other differences.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
          As you can see, model types make a difference, the pic on the left is a 80GSX750ET the one on the right, is an 80GSx750...different model, but I'm betting some models might be the same

now here's an 80 GS750 E model, looks like maybe a match'

and +1 on what KK said, more info is always better, it makes it easier to know what you want, plus we have some on here who will pretend to not know what your talking about because you either misspelled it, identified it with the wrong nomenclature, or like you did, lack of info....
          Looking at the pictures, I would say that the one on the left of the top row is a GS 750E, and probably earlier than '80, due to the presence of VM carbs (unless other world markets still had VMs in '80). The "T" on the end of your designation does signify that it is an '80, though, but I can't guarantee your designation.

The picture you have on the bottom row, you say it's an '80 GS 750E. If it is, indeed an '80, it would also be a GS 750 ET.

Originally posted by boggart View Post
          Thanks for the reply and your outstanding patience. I'm in the uk where a GS is a four valve engine and GSX a 16 valve! The bike i need the tank for is '77 GS, they didn't get a model defenition until '79 so it's just a GS750.
          Does that mean that all of your GSes are twin-cylinder bikes with two valves per cylinder?

Methinks you meant to say "GS is an eight valve engine."

Here in the USA, even the 16-valve engines were called "GS" bikes until the mid-80s, when the style of the bikes changed considerably.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The bottom left has VM carbs and 8 valves per cylinder. In the US that would be a 79 or earlier. The top right is a 16 valve engine with CV carbs so it would be an 80 or newer.

Comment

Originally posted by boggart View Post
              The 77 is definitely an 8 valve engine, so you need a tank to fit an 8 valve frame. There were no 77 750Ls, so that is out of the equation. I believe your question boils down to this:
              Will a 1980 16 valve-engine 750 fuel tank fit an 8 valve engine 750 frame?

Comment

Sorry, yeah, 8 valve not 4, derr! Yes, will a 16 valve tank fit an 8 valve frame is most definetely the question.

Comment

Yeah. sorry, meant 8 valve not 4, derr! Things are a lot simpler over here regarding GS & GSX differences.
                  Any 8 valve GS tank will fit my black bike (see profile photo's) but all the ones on e-bay are rusty inside from having been stood whereas the UK 16 valve GSX one i've in mind is good inside hence my interest in compatability.

Comment

Elsewhere on the 'net i've now found a post where someone tried mating the tank from a 8 valve GS850 on to a 16 valve GSX750 and found the 8 valve tank tunnel was too narrow at the neck and wouldn't fit the 16 valve frame, so short of major tank surgery the arnswer to my own question is, 8 and 16 valve tanks are not a direct swap.

Comment

Working...
                    X