Loss of power around 5-6k RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of power around 5-6k RPM

I don't know if this is carb related, but I've recently finished a full carb rebuild, finally got it back on and connected to the airbox (I was having trouble with this part ) and took it for a 20 mile ride just now to check out how it was running.

Things seemed good! The idle was pretty consistent, ran well, etc... until I finally got brave enough to rev it to around 6k RPM (new rider!). I noticed that around this mark the bike loses lots of power - basically bogs down and stops pulling. So I'm looking for a place to start diagnosing this.

So far, I have set the float heights to spec on the carbs, eliminated (i think) all air leaks, mixture screws set to 2.5 turns out, new spark plugs, new air filter. Also, the bike already has an aftermarket ignition system on it, installed by a previous owner.

I have not tested the voltage yet but just got a multimeter in the mail yesterday to do that with. Maybe tomorrow I will check things out to be sure I'm getting good voltage everywhere. I'm not totally clear on the condition of the charging system and battery since the bike is new to me.

Any tips are appreciated.

EDIT: Here is a link to the issues I was having with the airbox. Unfortunately I do not know if this issue existed before the carb cleaning / airbox fiasco since I didn't ride it this hard until now. Hope this helps - I'll get a new pic of the final result in this thread ASAP.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2012, 04:35 PM.

try riding with petcock on prime.

Comment

Hate to say this but probably still a airbox issue. Can you edit in a link with your original airbox problems so those not familiar with original problems can chime in? I'm thinking you are getting extra air between the holes in airbox to boots.
      Might be wrong on this but considering original problems that would be my first guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
        Hate to say this but probably still a airbox issue. Can you edit in a link with your original airbox problems so those not familiar with original problems can chime in? I'm thinking you are getting extra air between the holes in airbox to boots.
        Might be wrong on this but considering original problems that would be my first guess.
        Updated. Also updated the other thread - just FYI I did seem to get them connected pretty well now, I don't think it is having any erratic idle anymore at least. But you're right, maybe it is still the same issue causing these symptoms.

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
          try riding with petcock on prime.
          I'll try this as soon as this darn rain goes away. The petcock could be gunked; it is very hard to turn. This would probably tell me for sure if it's in need of replacement.

Comment

You do have an intact air filter element in place ? your petcock is signaling replacement time!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              You do have an intact air filter element in place ? your petcock is signaling replacement time!
              Yes, I replaced the air filter with a UNI foam filter only a few weeks ago. I took care not to over oil it. I am beginning to suspect the petcock as well... where is the cheapest place to buy a replacement? Z1? OR would it be wiser to pull the petcock off and inspect it to see if a rebuild is a viable solution?
              Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I did this http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ht=petcock+mod
                waiting on this http://www.buyatvsonline.com/gas-val...ts-p-9491.html

Comment

Went for a 20 mile ride today with the petcock on PRIME. This made no difference in the power issues

Seems to struggle around 4.5-6k RPM depending on what gear I'm in. Just loses power and sputters. Could this have to do with the mixture screw settings?? They're at 2.5 turns but I haven't fiddled with them yet since it seems to be running and idling OK aside from this issue.

Comment

There is still a leak somewhere, as someone said already I guarantee you it's at the airbox. Add some weather stripping to the top of the airbox lid and the air filter. Did you put on new carb boots and o-rings when you did the carbs? Is the exhaust stock?

It sounds like it's hitting a flat spot which means it's running lean, you may have to bump up the size of the mains depending on why it's lean. If it's an airleak you just need to fix it, if its because of aftermarket parts then adjust the mains.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                      There is still a leak somewhere, as someone said already I guarantee you it's at the airbox. Add some weather stripping to the top of the airbox lid and the air filter. Did you put on new carb boots and o-rings when you did the carbs? Is the exhaust stock?

It sounds like it's hitting a flat spot which means it's running lean, you may have to bump up the size of the mains depending on why it's lean. If it's an airleak you just need to fix it, if its because of aftermarket parts then adjust the mains.
                      I did new o-rings, but not intake boots. The boots seem OK to me. The exhaust is stock and there is a leak in the rusty crossover pipe, could that cause this issue? I plan to address this by cutting out the rusty crossover and replacing it with new sections of pipe, I just haven't gotten around to that yet. No aftermarket parts that I'm aware of and jets are all standard size. My airbox looks like this, I only see one place I could add weather stripping which is on the lid to the filter housing. I'll look into doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
                        Went for a 20 mile ride today with the petcock on PRIME. This made no difference in the power issues

Seems to struggle around 4.5-6k RPM depending on what gear I'm in. Just loses power and sputters......
                        It takes alot of fuel flowing thru petcock to refill carbs as revs/power goes up- If your petcock is gunked up, it might not deliver even in prime spot. Get a new one and eliminate the petcock as a problem.
                        Personally, I doubt the need for gasket on airbox lid- air is flowing thru openings, so a little more shouldn't hurt . BUT, the lid should hold the filter element tight against its base - you need a good seal here.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ordered petcock from z1 today, should be here Tuesday. Will post back with results!

Planning to order all new boots and clamps for both sides too... Just waiting a bit since this will not be cheap.

Comment

Well, I installed a new petcock but it is still exhibiting the symptoms. Seems like it might be slightly better but it's hard to tell... I'll have to take it for a longer ride this weekend and see. I'm glad I installed a new one though... it's amazing how much easier the handle on this one turns.

I guess it's time to turn my attention back to the other suggestions in this thread. I think I will order new airbox boots and clamps next time I get paid to get that ruled out. Intake boots will have to wait, but I doubt they're the issue. They really seem OK.

Could this maybe be a carb problem? I'm thinking of inspecting the floats again to make sure I got the float levels right, and double checking the slide diaphragms. Though if those are messed up I'm not sure what the heck I'll do.

It seems that it doesn't do it in first or second gear as bad, but it bogs noticeably in 3rd, 4th, 5th somewhere between 4 and 6k RPM.

Comment

I had a faulty stock igniter on a 1000G that displayed similar symptoms. Chased it for ages thinking it was fuel related....

Maybe your aftermarket ignition is doing the same... What ignition does it have on it?
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X