'80 550L- no fuel getting to #3 cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 550L- no fuel getting to #3 cylinder

I followed the steps in the carb rebuild tutorial, bought new o-rings for the carbs and intake boots, new bowl gaskets, new passage plugs, the whole nine yards. On a separate issue, I also replaced the spark plugs, caps, trimmed the wires, and added the coil relay mod.
    I have great spark on all cylinders, fresh fuel... Oh yeah, derusted the tank, and added a new petcock too...
    It runs pretty well, but the #3 pipe is cold. I'm sure it's fuel related, because when I was fighting the spark issue, the #3 plug never got wet like the rest. Is there anything that might be a rookie mistake on my carb rebuild that I should start looking for? I'd love to not have to tear the bank down again.

Thanks!

Have you synched the carbs? if not do that first. There's a slim possibility the adjustment screw on #3 needs to be dialed out/in a fair bit more for that cylinder to fire but most likely you've still got passage blocked in that carb. Not sure where your vacuum line goes to on those carbs, is it #2 or #3?
    Last edited by azr; 09-23-2012, 12:37 PM.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks. I figured I would need to have it firing in order to get it synched?? I have the tools on order, so I'll get it done as soon as I can.
      Is there by chance a flow diagram for these carbs? The tutorial was SUPER helpful, but it would also be beneficial to me to know..."fuel comes in here, goes up through this passage, until this throttle position cuts it and diverts it throu that jet...." You know, that kind of thing.

Comment

The service manual has a pretty good picture of that
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
        X