Reusing float needle and seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reusing float needle and seat?

I am trying to round up all the necessary components needed to clean my carbs prior to actually disassembling them. I have o-rings on order. On most every carb I have ever rebuilt - lawn mower, tiller, car - I installed a new needle and seat. From what I gather from reading the related threads on this site reusing the old needle and seat is common practice. It also appears that it is acceptable to reuse the float bowl gasket if one is careful when removing same. Am I correct on these two assumptions?

If they are ok you can use them again. Check the float needle with a magnifying glass though - if you can see a ring developing you either need to very finely rub it down or replace with new.

The gaskets last forever unless you rip one.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

How do you polish?
      1980 GS550L

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was a little concerned about the rubber used in older needles being compatible with today's gas but I guess it's a non issue.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
          Most of these GS-es don't have the rubber tipped float needle, if it does, there's no polishing that, just replacement.
          WOW! I didn't know that! Never seen one that didn't have a rubber tip. Rebuilt many a Rochester, Holley and Carter/Edelbrock but I never was into a motorcycle carb that deep. The ones I previously owned didn't sit long enough for gas to evaporate!

Comment

Working...
          X