No wonder I can't get a consistent idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wonder I can't get a consistent idle

So I've been having trouble dialing in a consistent idle speed on my bike. I've cleaned the carbs, checked and double checked all connections, installed a new air filter, everything! Turns out the culprit is the idle adjustment screw itself. It's missing parts!!

I'm missing parts 54,70, and 82 here. The only part that's there is 73, the screw itself.

I don't know why I didn't catch this before since the screw has always just sort of wobbled around, but I finally figured it out when making adjustments after a ride today. Just nudging the screw up or down produces a noticeable difference in idle speed.

Just wanted to share my "duh" moment. Parts are ordered now. Side note - I need to start planning my parts orders a little more spaced out, 9 dollar shipping each time adds up

And finally, any tips for adjusting the idle screw when the engine is hot? I can kinda jam my hand in there when it's cold and grab it (barely) but I've yet to find a tool that works for turning it when the engine is hot. By the time I get some pliers in there, there's no room to turn it!

You should be able to turn that knob without burning your hand.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      You should be able to turn that knob without burning your hand.
      My contortion technique: from right side, left hand palm up, thumb and index finger... hold tongue just right.
      '80 GS1000ST
      '92 ZX-11
      Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
        My contortion technique: from right side, left hand palm up, thumb and index finger... hold tongue just right.
        Haha, I guess it's the tongue holding that I still have to get down. For my hand it is a very, very tight fit. Like just BARELY.

Comment

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
          Haha, I guess it's the tongue holding that I still have to get down. For my hand it is a very, very tight fit. Like just BARELY.
          I go in from left side with right hand sliding along cool airbox
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

On my 650's, I've figured out that if you put a longish flat-bladed screwdrive against one of 'knurl bumps' and tap the 'driver gently, you can easily get the knob to turn more than enough to adjust the idle, I go from the right side.
            sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
            '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
            '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
            '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
            '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
            '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
            '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
            '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
            '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
            '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Missing the spring to keep the tension on would certainly do it. Congratulations on finding the problem.

+1 on the screwdriver/piece of wooden dowel to turn the knob.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Frank Z , that was hilarious!
                On the 1100E with my pods, I climb in there, sit down and have room to think and hang out in there before I easily adjust my idle any which way I might want to. Very roomy.
                On the 550l, I always seem to do it left hand from left side while sitting on the bike (stop sign) adjustments. Good design as far as I know. I have a complete stock setup and have had good luck with adjustments and even removing/installing my carbs on that bike.
                Trust me tho, I have burned the top of my hand plenty messing with carbs trying to reach in there. lol

Comment

I agree with Frank Z, but it helps to close your eyes too. :-)

Comment

Leave your glove on.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                      Trust me tho, I have burned the top of my hand plenty messing with carbs trying to reach in there. lol
                      I have burned my hand many, many times adjusting those screws on my bikes. I learned I can ingnore the pain of burning me more than I can deal with the blisters that develop afterwards. Just got to be quick!
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Leave your glove on.
                        Good idea, if it didn't make it harder to fit my hand in there

I guess I have to adjust my angle of attack. Must be doing it wrong.

Comment

On all of our bikes (650L, 850G, 850GL, 1000G), I sit on the bike, reach in with my left hand, palm UP, place fingers under the knob and drag it whichever way it needs to go.

Most of them turn easily enough to not need two fingers on the knob.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            On all of our bikes (650L, 850G, 850GL, 1000G), I sit on the bike, reach in with my left hand, palm UP, place fingers under the knob and drag it whichever way it needs to go.

Most of them turn easily enough to not need two fingers on the knob.

Maybe that's just the issue, I need two fingers to turn mine. But that's probably because it's missing parts. Once they are replaced hopefully it will be easier! I also find the clutch cable gets in the way when reaching in from the left side, since it is routed between the #1 and #2 carbs.

Parts should be here soon - then we'll see how much better it gets.

Comment

+2 on the glove. I use an old work glove. Figured this out after I burned my hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X