Carb support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb support?

Should there be some type of strap or support for the carbs when the airbox is not in use?

The intake rubbers were new when I restored the bike, so they're still pliable. Problem is - I can move the carbs up or down quite a bit. I've got CB's with aftermarket carbs and pods, but I suspect the intake rubbers are thicker and/or harder as they hardly move at all.

Sounds likely, why not rig up a strap hanging from frame tubes down to throttle cable anchor at carbs midpoint.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Sounds likely, why not rig up a strap hanging from frame tubes down to throttle cable anchor at carbs midpoint.
      I think I'm going to have to come up with something. The carbs have a spacing rack at the back of the carbs, so I can connect from it to the frame. I just have to come up with something that doesn't look too fugly.

Comment

there is a thread on here somewhere discussing the same problem. nobody really came up with a good solution.

found it. oh it was started by me lol. i forgot.....

Last edited by Agemax; 09-24-2012, 11:49 AM. Reason: link added
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          there is a thread on here somewhere discussing the same problem. nobody really came up with a good solution.

found it. oh it was started by me lol. i forgot.....

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=180363

Ummm...D'oh!
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I, too, started a thread on this issue. No real solutions emerged there either, though Agemax had some cool ideas for rigging up a support.

Picked up some pipe hanger strap to play with this at some point. For now, I use a pair of zip ties. One loops through the unused airbox mount hole, and the other loop goes around one of the center pods. The ties link up to form a chain holding up the back of the rack.

HTH

Comment

Prop 'em up from below - there's a few places a bracket could be bolted on underneath.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I'm probably going to do something similar to this;

Comment

From a strictly mechanics perspective, a rigid bar should be a better solution than a compressible support that needs to be under tension.

Zip ties would still allow the carbs to bounce UP, but at least they wouldn't lever down under their own weight.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I also started a thread on this subject a long time ago. EVERYBODY jumped in to tell me how stupid the idea was. I did it anyway with some universal hangar stripping. Worked well for a while. Forgot to put it back once during a re-assembly and when I put the air-box in it this year all 4 of my boots ripped across the bottom because of the elevated (correct) carb position...
                    '83 GS 1100T
                    The Jet

sigpic
                    '95 GSXR 750w
                    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Yes, a rigid mount is the way to go.
                      -Mark
                      Boston, MA
                      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                      sigpic
                      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Problem solved.

right i have made a support bracket that is easy to make, does the job and is easily removable for maintenance and carb removal.
                        this is for my 78 GS1K so other GS models may differ.
                        to start with, i noticed a lug welded to the top of the frame, not sure what it is meant for but it gave me an idea.
                        you can see the hole clearly in this pic.....

so, i got a piece of 2mm aluminium plate and cut it to fit between 2 and 3 carbs, with a cut out for the throttle cable/linkage. it is held on by the 2 inner carb top mounting screws.
                        with a 30 degree bend (approx.) it is the same angle as the lug on the frame.
                        a length of 6mm stud bar from the bracket to the frame lug secured each end and i used a 6mm washer which fits the hole in the frame lug to keep it all central.
                        and there you go. makes a nice solid,simple support to stop your carbs sagging or popping off!!!!

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I have seen all sorts of self fangled heat shields around the carbs because it is claimed the engine heat has adverse effects such as evaporation and harming the paint on the carbs..so heres my thought. Why add that stuff and restrict proper and sufficient airflow thru the center passages between the jugs to cool the engine? Seems counter productive to save one to smite the other to me.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                            right i have made a support bracket that is easy to make, does the job and is easily removable for maintenance and carb removal.
                            Excellent - looks clean. I'll have to see if the Kat frame has something similar that I could tie into.

Comment

My carbs hang free, but I have half an airbox to keep em from moving too far up or down.
                              It's not ideal, but it's lasted over 5000miles with no problems, and it gives the chrome covers on the side of the air box a 'shaker' effect which I think is cool looking.

Not to worry though, I have the rear half of the air box on its way.

Tank

Comment

Working...
                              X