newbie question but i need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie question but i need help

I am new to this forum. I did a few searches before i posted this and couldnt reallly find what i was looking for so here goes. I have a 1977 gs 550 while cleaning the carbs i broke off a tube that sticks up out of the middle of the float bowl. This tube just seems to vent to the air at the bottom of the bowl. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this tube is. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated as this is all i have left before i can ride this bike. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

hi, it is an overflow tube that allows fuel to drain out if the level in the bowl gets too high.could be caused by wrong float height,sticky float or a worn float valve/seat.
    i have not come across any one who has repaired one but i guess it could be possible.
    your best bet is to source a new or s/h float bowl.
    you really should go to the newbie section of the forums and introduce yourself properly.
    welcome to the site
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by redneckleather View Post
      I am new to this forum. I did a few searches before i posted this and couldnt reallly find what i was looking for so here goes. I have a 1977 gs 550 while cleaning the carbs i broke off a tube that sticks up out of the middle of the float bowl. This tube just seems to vent to the air at the bottom of the bowl. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this tube is. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated as this is all i have left before i can ride this bike. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

So, you need a float bowl for a VM22 carb?

Post it up in Parts Wanted

You may be able to braze it back on,but a new one would be easier

BTW, don't try to put the broken one back on the bike. Hate to see you burn up!
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If you are talking about the brass tube in the main body? that goes into the float bowl That can be repaired or a dab of JB weld to block it.. It is a fuel pick up for the choke

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. redneckleather,

Check the carb sections and tutorials on my little website. Perhaps they will help.

In the "mega-welcome" you will find a couple of maintenance lists. Every item on those lists must be properly addressed in order to have a safe and reliable motorcycle. You'll need clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, new petcock, etc. It's all here: New Members, CLICK HERE!!

Welcome to the forum. Please visit my little website for all the GS information I have collected. You'll find hours of documentation to familiarize yourself with.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X