Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a rave about "The Works" for rusty tanks- wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a rave about "The Works" for rusty tanks- wow!

So, I just bought an '81 GS750L and am working on putting things right with the bike. The tank was pretty rusty so I jump online to try to find some solutions. First I tried evaporust- got some stuff out but I don't think I really had enough to do a good job. Try number two: Heard vinegar worked well. Got three gallons, threw some nuts in, and went at it. Strapped the tank to the bed of my truck and went on a little gravel travel. 8 hours of sitting later and the tank was still pretty rusty. The nuts knocked some big chunks loose, but the tank was still quite rough and rusty. Enter "The Works." As I am pouring it in the rust starts to just melt away from the center hump. One bottle down and the area I can see is almost completely rust free. I have two bottles in and the nuts and I plan to soak it/shake it up tonight and tomorrow. Wish I would have taken before pics. I'll post back on how it turns out!

What is it?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

toilet bowl cleaner. sorry, forgot to specify.

Comment

LOL that stuff is pretty powerful. Let us know how it turns out

Comment

This is a page I read in the past. It cautions of the potency of The Works (hydrocloric acid) , as it will eat "chrome, concrete, almost anything, so do not get it on anything but inside the tank" ,but also of its effectiveness.
          There are numerous other tank cleaning methods described here in fair detail.

Gas tank cleaning webpage:

***Please use caution, The Works and other chemical tank cleaning methods can cause explosions from pressure and chemical burns.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-25-2012, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Use alot of caution with the WORKS, as if left to long it will eat right through your tank if it is rust real bad. Been there done that. That is why I use vinegar, yes it takes awhile longer but it won't eat a hole in the tank . Vinegar takes 3-4 days, not 8hrs and it will take it all out.Good things come with time.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

points taken- it does stink, and it seems to become less effective as time goes on. it may be best for an initial rinse (as it did work REALLY well initially) and then perhaps some vinegar to finish the job. thanks for the comments. i just checked it this morning and everything seems fine. most of the rust is gone except a bit more on the center hump that isn't always covered and some of the sides where it seems to have trouble as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                Use alot of caution with the WORKS, as if left to long it will eat right through your tank if it is rust real bad. Been there done that. That is why I use vinegar, yes it takes awhile longer but it won't eat a hole in the tank . Vinegar takes 3-4 days, not 8hrs and it will take it all out.Good things come with time.
                i've used vinegar in a few tanks with stellar results. fisk is right, don't be in a rush with it. i've left it in for four or five days shaking and moving the tank into different positions. wash it out with plain water a few times. pour in about a gallon of rubbing alcohol and swish it around to prevent flash rust. then position a shop fan to flow air into the filler neck and out the petcock hole. to dry everything out.
                if you want to throw something in the tank use a piece of a chain instead of nuts, bolts, nails etc. a lot easier to get out.

Comment

Actually ended up working great. I will try vinegar again if I need to remove rust. I will just know that it takes much longer. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Comment

[if you want to throw something in the tank use a piece of a chain instead of nuts, bolts, nails etc. a lot easier to get out.[/QUOTE]

From my own "Doh" files, don't use anything with a sharp point on it in the tank, and if you do, don't bounce the stuff up and down in the tank, slide it around. Still working on fixing pin holes from bouncing square nuts around in it.

Comment

Working...
                    X