Old style VM T-Junction fuel line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old style VM T-Junction fuel line

I've just completed a VM 22 rebuild (1978 GS 550). All's well, but I am very suspicious of the T-Junction between 2-3. Paul Musser says "...the rubber sleeve type [of T-Junction] is no longer available and if disturbed may not seal agin." He suggests I may have to fabricate custom fittings. Is there a viable, swapable part for the T from another series? If not, any suggestions on how to fabricate an appropriate fitting? Thanks in advance - this is an incredible resource.

I had the same concern when I tore down my vm26ss but a full dip needed to be done so when I had them apart I washed the rubber tee and other two straight connectors in soapy water then applied Kleen flo rubber care a half a dozen times rubbing it in each time. It really made a difference in the rubber because before it was hard and the rings seemed flattened but after I was done the rings felt like new (soft and raised up) they have made a good seal in the carbs so far. I bought it at canadian tire and looks like this.

Comment

Z1 has one for 26mm carbs, not sure if it's the same size

Just take care when you take them apart

Some rubber care and/or silicone rubber grease will help
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You can also put an o ring between the carb and the shoulder of the fuel T

Comment

You can use Teflon tape.

Comment

I've used gasket maker that's good for fuel applications. Just put a dab around the fuel tee then put it in place and bolt the carbs together so it can't move around, just remember to have the main fuel tee at basically the angle you'll want it when they are on the bike cause once the gasket maker hardens it's stuck where it is. Worked flawlessly for a couple of years. I also bought the fuel tee's from Z1 and they work great but a bit more money for sure.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks everyone - all very helpful suggestions. I've reassembled, but there is just too much play in the T, so I'm going to bite the bullet, get them apart again and use one or more of your ideas - none of which, I confess, I'd thought of.

Comment

I bought the new T and connectors for mine...(VM26) Two of the o-rings that came with it would not fit.. (too large to fit in the carbs without binding and slipping out of the grouve) but the o-ring replacements that came in the Cycle-O-Rings kit did.. so swapped them ..and a perfect fit.

Comment

Working...
                X