Any way to verify carb internals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way to verify carb internals?

On my GS750, the friend who owned it before I did purchased a carb rebuild kit from eBay, and used the parts in the kit.

Is there any way to verify that the parts in the kit were the correct ones for my bike?

The number on my engine is in the 60k range, so I assume that column 4 has the right info.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Mediocre View Post
    On my GS750, the friend who owned it before I did purchased a carb rebuild kit from eBay, and used the parts in the kit.

Is there any way to verify that the parts in the kit were the correct ones for my bike?

The number on my engine is in the 60k range, so I assume that column 4 has the right info.

Thanks.
    The only person that can verify what is inside the carbs on your bike is you. Be warned IMO rebuild kits are crap.

The Mikuni original jets if you have them usually clean up quite well and as long as no one had dragged bits of wire through them for cleaning purposes they should be OK. Failing that you can purchase new the Mikuni jets, needles, etc.

It is the needle and needle jet that is most likely to wear. BTW the jet sizes in the Suzuki specs are Mikuni sizes, so if you have something else in your carbs that are not Mikuni you cannot do a straight comparison. If I was you I would get new jets, needles, etc.

Following are the GS750 Carb Specs from the factory manual.

Last edited by Guest; 09-25-2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
      The only person that can verify what is inside the carbs on your bike is you. Be warned IMO rebuild kits are crap.

The Mikuni original jets if you have them usually clean up quite well and as long as no one had dragged bits of wire through them for cleaning purposes they should be OK. Failing that you can purchase new the Mikuni jets, needles, etc.

It is the needle and needle jet that is most likely to wear. BTW the jet sizes in the Suzuki specs are Mikuni sizes, so if you have something else in your carbs that are not Mikuni you cannot do a straight comparison. If I was you I would get new jets, needles, etc.

Following are the GS750 Carb Specs from the factory manual.

Are the original Mikuni parts marked in any way so that you can tell which one they are? Is there a way to measure them to find some of this out? I note that some of the parts have numbers on them, but I don't know if it means anything or not, especially if the part is aftermarket.

I would really really really really really really prefer not to have to buy new parts if there is a way to identify what's already in there.

Comment

I believe the Mikuni jets have a Mikuni logo imprinted on them. At least that's what I think I remember seeing when I did mine a few weeks ago. If there's only a number on the jet then it's probably not stock.

I think this shows it:

Comment

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
          Not sure if that shows it or not, but the Mikuni logo has two concentric squares.

Last edited by Steve; 09-26-2012, 07:52 PM.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The square with the smaller square inside it. Just pulled the jets out of extra set of 550 carbs and all marked with that symbol.
            I only see it on the jets and no other parts of carbs so they must source them from somewhere else.

Comment

The Mikuni needles have a model code on them
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Mediocre View Post
                I would really really really really really really prefer not to have to buy new parts if there is a way to identify what's already in there.
                a set of 4 jets will cost less than $15 shipped from Z1 or www.jetsrus.com

Please update your signature, I can't tell what generation 750 we're talking about here
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                X