Desperately need help on 87 450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperately need help on 87 450L

Looking to buy a petcock rebuild kit for an 87 GS450L. I cleaned my carbs a few months ago. After putting everything back together, I am having seldom strange issues. Sometimes the bike is had to start, regardless it runs fine. But, last night the bike was idling at a gas station and I noticed gas leaking from the air box breather down onto the ground. Before I tore the carbs apart everything ran fine. I believe the gas may be coming from the petcock vacuum line or main line. I don't know. Does this petcock kit look to be correct ? And does my petcock look to be original ? Mine seems much smaller than the ebay petcock kit link I posted. Any other reasons for gas to be coming out of the airbox breather ?
    Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2012, 01:08 PM.

Another pic of my petcock.

Comment

Originally posted by pearljam724 View Post
      ...... But, last night the bike was idling at a gas station and I noticed gas leaking from the air box breather down onto the ground.Before I tore the carbs apart everything ran fine. I believe the gas may be coming from the petcock vacuum line or main line.
      You might indeed need new petcock, but it's also likely that your carb work "disturbed" something ( float height/ needle seat?)
      Your petcock looks very similar to mine - see link below (44 mm bolt spacing ??, fuel outlet faces rear). Personally, I'd just replace the whole petcock for $45 and rule it out as a problem, then move on to carbs.Lots of places to buy new petcock

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X