Help! Still not running right!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Still not running right!

Hello everybody, ive got a big problem with my bike. When i start it the engine will bounce revs between 1000-1500 and as soon as you put throttle to it, it starts to die. It will then "catch and idle at 2000 rpms, i can apply throttle there. Sometimes it will be fine and drive somewhat, other times it will go back to the first thing and it dies. I don't know what it could be, ive fully dipped the carbs, went up two jet sizes for my pods, checked the valves within spec. The only thing i could think of it being is my petcock. Right now the PO put like a lawn mower petcock on and its gravity, could not having the vacuum be my problem? Also, my #1 header pipe was smoking, don't know what through but it was. Also, my #3 carb bowl drain, seems to always be draining fuel. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2012, 04:51 PM.

The stock petcock is gravity feed too (the vacuum just lets the fuel flow), so I doubt that's your problem.If #3 carb is leaking fuel, its needle seat isn't doing its job. What kind/ brand of pods are you using? are they a recent addition?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I bought the bike with the pods. I opened them up put in a 105 jet, and kept all other settings the same. Pilot/fuel screw/needle. The brand is UNI. Also more on the problem, When driving the bike, it will not accelorate in a "linear" fashion, as, it will go then stop the go then stop, and its really only noticeable on the bike. I've gotten to idle at 2000, kinda, but when i drive it doesn't like to go down in RPM'S. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but i have not synced my carbs yet, as the Z1 kit, doesn't fit in the holes already there, and my motor was too hot to get the plastic pieces in. Thanks!
      Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

The symptoms you describe mean you'll have to do more carb tweaking and those UNIs won't make that any easier

I'd start by raising the needles one notch, fuel needle 1+ turn, air needle 2+ and tune from there

The high idle indicates you're lean. Did you replace the intake O rings?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yes, I've replaced them and all the orings in the carbs. Raising the needles means putting the ring one step lower, correct? Looks like i get to take the slides out again!
          Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2012, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Correct on both counts

Do you have stock exhaust?

2 jet sizes may not be enough, plug chops will tell
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yes, i still have the stock exhaust. when iminthe carbs again i can put some 110 jets in. Once i get the carba done ill work on plugchops. When you say turns, do you mean a full 360 degree turn, of just a 180 degree?
              Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2012, 11:46 PM.

Comment

What do these colors mean on the float? And what does that spot in the bowl mean?

Comment

Just clean them up real good especially that varnish from the bowl.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

ok, and what would a really difficult to move #3 slide mean? To the point it can hardly be moved?

Comment

It means you need to properly clean your carbs by dipping them for 24 hours each in Berrymans. Follow the procedures in the carb rebuild tutorials and they'll start acting like they need to and running properly.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

cleaned em all by doing that, but ill guess ill dip em again.

Comment

Working...
                        X