Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! GS450 Float Bowl Leaking (Lots of Pictures/Videos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Legionnaire View Post
    Okay so it sounds like a new petcock, float bowl gaskets, float needles, and my one needle jet should be replaced and then go from there?

Would this petcock work okay, or should I go with a 100% OEM one?
    If you're getting stuff from Z1, get petcock there. I got mine from this guy- genuine made in japan $45 shipped

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Legionnaire View Post
      Berryman Carb Dip, I have used it twice before with no issues
      I have had Berrymens do that to carbs also, on a couple of occasions. I am not sure why but it seams to happen to the carb bodies that are thicker at the throat areas. Alot of 70's carbs, I always figured Mikuni had made the carbs from an alloy and there was a chemical reaction. Also noticed it happens more frequently with Berrymens that has been used a few times. It will leave a blackish dusty film on the carbs after a good dip. For the most part I just wash them real well with hot soapy water after the dip and then blow them out clean. I am not sure of the cause but have seen it a few times.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
        I have had Berrymens do that to carbs also, on a couple of occasions. I am not sure why but it seams to happen to the carb bodies that are thicker at the throat areas. Alot of 70's carbs, I always figured Mikuni had made the carbs from an alloy and there was a chemical reaction. Also noticed it happens more frequently with Berrymens that has been used a few times. It will leave a blackish dusty film on the carbs after a good dip. For the most part I just wash them real well with hot soapy water after the dip and then blow them out clean. I am not sure of the cause but have seen it a few times.
        YES! I am so happy someone else has experience with this! All my brass parts that are on the carbs that got dipped are black too! I will definitely try and tear 'em down and give them a good scrub because they feel as if they are just covered in dust and I don't want all that going into my engine!

Such a weird problem...

Hey Tom thanks! I don't think I am gonna get anything else from Z1 other than a petcock so should I order from that guy then?

Super cheap price thanks.

Z1 has 6 packs of float needles, and no one I found carries Needle Jets, can anyone point me in the right direction for Float Needles and Needle Jets, thanks seriously thank you everyone!

Comment

I have a GS450, but these don't seem to look like they would fit my float bowls, they have the one tab off to the side that I need, but the tab in the center doesn't look familar...

Here is the shop link:

If anyone has had any luck let me know, I am in the end going to get OEM gaskets most likely.

Comment

Get the OEM kits.. They are not that expensive and its worth it that you only have to replace them once. Tons of posts on here about aftermarkets that do not do the job..

Comment

Originally posted by mpencegs View Post
              Get the OEM kits.. They are not that expensive and its worth it that you only have to replace them once. Tons of posts on here about aftermarkets that do not do the job..
              What are these OEM kits you speak of, could you please point me in the right direction? I was just talking about buying OEM float bowl gaskets, but if you are talking about a whole set please let me know! Thanks!

Comment

I've only just tuned in to this, but to be honest it looks to me like two issues... dodgy fuel tap and one float that's sinking. Also, those floats being different sizes will definitely not be right I don't think.

The gaskets certainly could add a third factor, maybe one wasn't seated correctly and got pinched putting the float bowls back on? That would be easy enough to do.

I'd definitely go with genuine gaskets, about $5 each from Boulevard if I remember correctly. Cheap!

The first description you gave of your fuel tap was that it flows in both On and Res positions... the float valves won't be able to hold that back forever especially if one of your floats is leaking as well...

And on the side stand will tilt the carbs in the right direction to increase the force from the leaking fuel tap I would think.

We don't have Berryman's here so I can't comment on the residue, but I would definitely give them a good scrub!

Keep us up to date with what you find.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                  I've only just tuned in to this, but to be honest it looks to me like two issues... dodgy fuel tap and one float that's sinking. Also, those floats being different sizes will definitely not be right I don't think.

The gaskets certainly could add a third factor, maybe one wasn't seated correctly and got pinched putting the float bowls back on? That would be easy enough to do.

I'd definitely go with genuine gaskets, about $5 each from Boulevard if I remember correctly. Cheap!

The first description you gave of your fuel tap was that it flows in both On and Res positions... the float valves won't be able to hold that back forever especially if one of your floats is leaking as well...

And on the side stand will tilt the carbs in the right direction to increase the force from the leaking fuel tap I would think.

We don't have Berryman's here so I can't comment on the residue, but I would definitely give them a good scrub!

Keep us up to date with what you find.
                  Always dropping some serious knowledge on me Pete, plus making this all very clear. Okay so my game plan as of right now is to buy these items:

Float Bowl Gaskets (x2) (BikeBandit)
                  Valve Seat Gaskets (x2) (BikeBandit)
                  Float Needles (x2) (I can only find a pack of 6 on Z1)
                  Floats (x2) (Z1 offers plastic floats for $26 a pair of float/pin)
                  Needle Jets (x1) (I can't find a place that sells these at all)

I also JUST purchased a brand new petcock so that is another culprit off the list.

If anyone can find a place that sells Needle Jets or Float Needles that would be awesome, because I don't REALLY need 6 float needles, but I will buy if I have to! Thanks y'all!

UPDATE: I found these two eBay sellers who are selling floats that claim will fit in a GS450 82-88, mine is an 81 and all these parts seem rather universal, anyone know if this would fit:

Z1 sells what look to be the same floats for a little more and claim the same thing, they don't fit my EXACT year, but the same model bike just a year later will fit it...

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Or should I not mess with the plastic ones at all and just go for OEM of my own specific year, they are $25 for float/pin from Boulevard:

Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2012, 04:55 PM.

Comment

try here

Comment

Nobody seems to carry the GS450s needle jets, and JetsRUs doesn't have the float needle by itself, just as a set with the seat, so close!

Most float needles look identical, couldn't maybe a GS500 float needle fit in mine or anything like that?

Comment

Have you posted in the WTB forum yet?
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Have you posted in the WTB forum yet?
                          No sir! Good idea! Just made one!

This is my most urgent question right now, sorry to rush such amazing advice from all of you!! I really appreciate every bit of help:

I found these an eBay seller who sells floats that fit a GS450 82-88, mine is an 81 and all these parts seem rather universal, anyone know if this would fit:

Anyone have any history of buying these plastic floats?

I checked the part number and its not the same, but has anyone tried these?
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Sorry, but nup those floats won't work, you need the brass ones.

Have a look at the list of models on the listing and the only 450's are '83 onwards except the automatic '82 model which has different carbs to ours also.

These are the two I can find on the Z1 site, not sure if either are the right ones though:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

This could potentially be it at jetsrus.com also:

I would probably talk to Z1 first though... they should know what you need.
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                              Sorry, but nup those floats won't work, you need the brass ones.

Have a look at the list of models on the listing and the only 450's are '83 onwards except the automatic '82 model which has different carbs to ours also.

These are the two I can find on the Z1 site, not sure if either are the right ones though:

This could potentially be it at jetsrus.com also:

I would probably talk to Z1 first though... they should know what you need.
                              Thanks Pete I was about to go OEM, but I will give this a shot!

EDIT: They said they wouldn't work thanks though!
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Even after weighting them down and submerging them in gas overnight, they still may "float". The best way to check for sure is to shake them near your ear in a very quiet place and listen for anything sloshing inside each float.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X