Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! GS450 Float Bowl Leaking (Lots of Pictures/Videos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, check the action on those floats with the gasket in place. Floats that spring nicely on the bench can still snag a gasket edge when the carb is back together.

Is it just me, or do the washers under your needle-valve seats stick out a bit. Z1 has seat washers that actually are a bit too big and can leak.

Have you checked your oil for gas yet? Do that and change the oil and filter if there is any hint of gas in the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
      Also, check the action on those floats with the gasket in place. Floats that spring nicely on the bench can still snag a gasket edge when the carb is back together.

Is it just me, or do the washers under your needle-valve seats stick out a bit. Z1 has seat washers that actually are a bit too big and can leak.

Have you checked your oil for gas yet? Do that and change the oil and filter if there is any hint of gas in the oil.
      Okay well I bought OEM floats, just because I might as well, along with OEM gaskets and a new petcock. This should either fix my issues or make it easier to figure out what is actually going on.

I will do the stuff you guys recommend and see if any of this stuff happens.

About the valve gaskets, it is a little weird you can straight up see them, don't some of these have rubber o-rings instead of paper gaskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Legionnaire View Post
        Okay well I bought OEM floats, just because I might as well, along with OEM gaskets and a new petcock. This should either fix my issues or make it easier to figure out what is actually going on.

I will do the stuff you guys recommend and see if any of this stuff happens.

About the valve gaskets, it is a little weird you can straight up see them, don't some of these have rubber o-rings instead of paper gaskets?
        No. They have those red filter washers or sometimes a metal one. Not rubber though.

Test them like so. Remove the float bowls and hold the carbs in the upright position over a catch basin or bucket. Run some fuel into the line and lift the floats. If any fuel continues to drip out, the needles may be leaking. If the washer is bad, it will drip or dribble out as well.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
          No. They have those red filter washers or sometimes a metal one. Not rubber though.

Test them like so. Remove the float bowls and hold the carbs in the upright position over a catch basin or bucket. Run some fuel into the line and lift the floats. If any fuel continues to drip out, the needles may be leaking. If the washer is bad, it will drip or dribble out as well.

HTH
          Okay so I did this test and it might actually just be my fuel T joint that splits the fuel to the different carbs... I am mind blown. It might be an accumulation of everything, so I don't mind the extra parts, but whoa!

Where did you guys buy replacement fuel T's because I can only find brass ones or plastic the OEM one is rubber coated and seems nice quality. OEM is like $30 which is outrageous, thanks for the info everyone! Thansk MisterCinders for that test it helped a lot!!

One more thing I scrubbed my carbs sooooo much and then boiled them to try and get the dusty finish off them and they visually look just as bad, but now when I rub my hand over them there doesn't seem to be any or barely any residue on my finger. I am just ****ed that this might ruin my carbs just cause some weird carb dip reaction, they look terrible and dirty, but are actually really clean. Some opinions would help a lot!

For the people that don't really get what happened, basically my carbs look like they are made of stone not metal, they are dull and not smooth at all.

Comment

I had fuel leaking from my T, but nowhere near as bad as that.

I bought an OEM replacement from Boulevard Suzuki for something like $17, so not sure where you're seeing it for $30... over here it was $47

At least you were able to get the residue of your carbs!
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              I had fuel leaking from my T, but nowhere near as bad as that.

I bought an OEM replacement from Boulevard Suzuki for something like $17, so not sure where you're seeing it for $30... over here it was $47

At least you were able to get the residue of your carbs!
              Yeah see mine was just spewing it out, probably didn't help that my petcock didn't shut off before but now with my replacement it stops IMMEDIATELY it's awesome I used to have to vice grip the line to take my tank off!

Boulevard says $25 + $10 shipping almost $40 I find that just crazy... Z1 has these, but I don't know how well they work: http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...em=MP12-0019-1

Dang Australia has got a hard life for getting stuff shipped out :/

Yeah I mean logically:

No Residue = Clean Carbs (right?)

Even if they look awful and like they are carved out of stone...

EDIT: Used the search button like a good boy and found out 8mm line will work but 7mm is ideal.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

You know you can just put a dab of fuel resistant gasket maker on those fuel T's, put them in place, bolt the carbs together to keep them in place and Bob's your uncle no more leaks. Although, you did have a ton of fuel leaking out, not your average drip. If you believe all that fuel was pouring out from the fuel T's there must be a problem in there, more than just loose T's which is normal for old carbs. But I doubt it's your fuel T, it was just far too much fuel.
                Last edited by azr; 10-05-2012, 12:46 AM.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Legionnaire View Post
                  Nobody seems to carry the GS450s needle jets, and JetsRUs doesn't have the float needle by itself, just as a set with the seat, so close!

Most float needles look identical, couldn't maybe a GS500 float needle fit in mine or anything like that?
                  I used Mikuni P.N. N122/032-2.5 for a needle and seat replacement, much less $$ than Suzuki this was on my GS450S . They work great, also Mikuni VM24-171 float works well too at less cost than Suzuki
                  GS450SJIP

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                    You know you can just put a dab of fuel resistant gasket maker on those fuel T's, put them in place, bolt the carbs together to keep them in place and Bob's your uncle no more leaks. Although, you did have a ton of fuel leaking out, not your average drip. If you believe all that fuel was pouring out from the fuel T's there must be a problem in there, more than just loose T's which is normal for old carbs. But I doubt it's your fuel T, it was just far too much fuel.
                    Okay I will definitely try that, but it just sounds like it is prone to leaking. I really want to make sure nothing comes out or breaks down. There is definitely a lot of gas coming down, but I blame part of that on my petcock and how it used to just flow out, but that is also why I am replacing float bowl gaskets, and floats.

I think it's a mixture of everything at once.

Thanks gs450sjip those are WAY cheaper I am gonna hold off on the valve seats and stuff for now because I don't think that is my issue.

I am having the hardest time locating a stupid fuel tee, mine is ~49mm long and I can't find any aluminum/o-ring type ones in a length near mine, such a bummer.

Comment

I couldn't find a source either, just bit the bullet and went OEM...

You could always give the fuel proof sealant a go just to prove your theory while you wait for an OEM one... and this is probably one case where buying a second hand one may not be the best solution either...

sigpic

Comment

I couldn't find a source either, just bit the bullet and went OEM...

You could always give the fuel proof sealant a go just to prove your theory while you wait for an OEM one... and this is probably one case where buying a second hand one may not be the best solution either...
                        Well at least I know I am not crazy, these machinists gotta get some GS450 love in their hearts!

So should I go with Permatex Form-A-Gasket No. 3?I am prolly gonna do exactly that just seal it up see what happens and wait on a new OEM one, gotta pay to get it done right!
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Not sure which sealant to use, I guess just read carefully and don't use it unless it says petrol and ethanol safe...

sigpic

Comment

Not sure which sealant to use, I guess just read carefully and don't use it unless it says petrol and ethanol safe...
                            Aye aye captain Petey!

I am so excited to get back on my bike and ride again, it's my DD, so I feel like a deadbeat bummin' rides and cars and stuff.

Comment

Haha yeah I'm the same, can't stomach the thought of the train anymore... one day off when my Dyna died was enough for me, don't want to have that happen again!

Edit: Just means we should probably have a second GS to back us up right?
                              Last edited by pete; 10-05-2012, 04:17 PM. Reason: Forgot

sigpic

Comment

Haha yeah I'm the same, can't stomach the thought of the train anymore... one day off when my Dyna died was enough for me, don't want to have that happen again!

Edit: Just means we should probably have a second GS to back us up right?
                                The train sounds awesome to me! I am used to the city bus which I actually don't mind at all, it just doubles my trip time and it can't get me EVERYWHERE I need to go.

Now wouldn't that be nice, assemble a whole fleet!

Comment

Working...
                                X