Pods question.. I know I know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods question.. I know I know

My dad threw some pods on his 77 gs400x. It seems to run fine, but he can't get it started with the kick start. He sprayed a little shot of starting fluid and it started right up first kick. Am I guessing right that the pods are too free flowing and there isn't any gas getting sucked into the cylinder because there is no resistance from the pods? And will a jet kit fix that problem?

Just checking..

Sounds more like a petcock issue.

Comment

If only there were a thread about pod filters on this forum . . .

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
        If only there were a thread about pod filters on this forum . . .
        you would have to look REAL hard to find one!
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by ericp501 View Post
          My dad threw some pods on his 77 gs400x. It seems to run fine, but he can't get it started with the kick start. He sprayed a little shot of starting fluid and it started right up first kick. Am I guessing right that the pods are too free flowing and there isn't any gas getting sucked into the cylinder because there is no resistance from the pods? And will a jet kit fix that problem?

Just checking..
          If you have not added a jet kit on the bike before adding the pods then you will want to look into getting one for it. On a carb engine if you allow for more air flow you need to allow for more fuel to keep the correct air/fuel ratio, otherwise its running lean if you have too much air or rich if you have too much fuel. Both of these issues can cause it not to start, in your case its lean.

As the comments above, which are so kind and generous, state there are a few pod threads weighing the advantages and disadvantages to having pods on the bike, would suggest checking them out. Good luck on the bike bro!

Comment

There is *lots* of threads on here about pods and jetting, but in a nutshell yes it's likely far too lean, you'll probably need to wind the mixture screws out or possibly up the pilot jet sizes, as well as adjust the needles and mains.

Oh, and being a 400 means you must post some pic's
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Pods will NOT make a difference at cranking speed.

There is so little air flow, you could almost seal off the entrance to a stock airbox and still have the bike fire up briefly.

First things first, though, GET RID OF THE STARTING FLUID.

OK, you used it once and the bike fired up. That at least tells you that it's likely a fuel-related issue.

Now you need to share some of the history of the bike.
              Has he had the bike for a while and this problem just came up after installing the pods?
              Was the bike recently acquired and you have no idea of the history?
              When was the last valve adjustment done?
              Any idea when the bike last ran reliably?

My money (what little there is of it) would be on mis-adjusted valves and dirty carbs, the usual culprits.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

New bike with little known history on 20k miles
                carbs were fully cleaned
                I feel like it probably needs a valve adjustment

Comment

Don't these bikes have CV carbs? Lots of documentation on cleaning them, and half the number of carbs to deal with. The usual; valve adjustment, clean carbs (correctly) new o-rings, Berryman's dip, etc. Check the ignition as just the way it has to be, then plug chops to set the jets correctly.
                  There is no half-fast way to clean these carbs, especially in the idle/startup passages. Gotta have new o-rings, 24 hours in the dip, blow the passages out with carb cleaner then compressed air, use the "special tool", etc.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2012, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X