79 GS550 running problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS550 running problems

Carbs have been rebuilt, intakes are brand new oem, and petcock is also brand new. The bike is having trouble starting up but will start with a little starting fluid. If it does start, it has trouble idling and will bog at low RPMs. The bike then eventually stalls itself out. Anyone have an idea why its doing this?

Airbox fitted or pods?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

"Choke" circuit and low speed circuit ain't getting enough fuel. Is this the bike that has CV carbs yet title claims its a 79 model? ( Put in your signature.) If yes, understand that it's difficult to clean these circuits without thorough dipping- very small passages- how did you clean/ rebuild them?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        Airbox fitted or pods?
        Stock air box.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          "Choke" circuit and low speed circuit ain't getting enough fuel. Is this the bike that has CV carbs yet title claims its a 79 model? ( Put in your signature.) If yes, understand that it's difficult to clean these circuits without thorough dipping- very small passages- how did you clean/ rebuild them?
          You know, that sounds right. Yes! Apparently it's a late model 79 so technically an 80? Figures that my first bike is a mind ****. The bowls were taken off and the carbs were completely dipped to make sure that they were mint. Anyway to solve the choke and speed circuit issues?

Comment

Head to Basscliff's site and look for carb rebuild for CV carbs.
            Unfortunately, the carbs must be seperated, disassembled- all jets, etc removed,- to allow the dip to reach all the tiny passages. All o-rings will need to be replaced.For your dip, did you remove the blocking plugs on the idle mixture screws ( at top of carb throat on engine side ) and then the screws, o-rings, springs hidden here?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Head to Basscliff's site and look for carb rebuild for CV carbs.
              Unfortunately, the carbs must be seperated, disassembled- all jets, etc removed,- to allow the dip to reach all the tiny passages. All o-rings will need to be replaced.For your dip, did you remove the blocking plugs on the idle mixture screws ( at top of carb throat on engine side ) and then the screws, o-rings, springs hidden here?
              I don't believe so. I had my friend's shop do it and I didn't notice if he completely disassembled them that thoroughly while I was there. I'll have to ask.

Comment

Working...
              X