GS750/1000 Carb Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobNeal4 View Post
    Wow! Thanks so much for all the advice and the time you've taken over this. Much appreciated. Even though the weather is getting colder now here in the UK I'll be in the garage soon to try out the suggestions.
    Kind regards.
    Rob
    Post a pic of the bike and carbs, we can at least ID which carbs you have (VM or BS)

Comment

I definitely have VM carbs. Another issue with the bike is that the original engine was in such a poor state that I sourced a second one that was taken from a USA import (to UK) as a part out. I just like to make life difficult for myself!! Anyway, I'll source a second set of VM26 carbs and re-build using the advise everyone has provided. Thanks guys for the all of the very detailed info. It's going to make for a very interesting winter project in the garage.

Rob

Comment

Rob - if you're running with the standard airbox and she's rich I would suggest having a look at the needles. The carbs might be from an 850 - they'll look exactly the same but they'll have 5DL36-2 needles and you won't see them unless you take them out (it's stamped on them - you'll need bloody good eyes or a magnifying glass to see).
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Rob - if you're running with the standard airbox and she's rich I would suggest having a look at the needles. The carbs might be from an 850 - they'll look exactly the same but they'll have 5DL36-2 needles and you won't see them unless you take them out (it's stamped on them - you'll need bloody good eyes or a magnifying glass to see).
          Just clarifying, the -2 is the clip position. You will just see the first part of the number if you've got good light, with a young set of eyes or a magnifying glass.
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
            Just clarifying, the -2 is the clip position. You will just see the first part of the number if you've got good light, with a young set of eyes or a magnifying glass.
            Good point - don't waste time looking for the '2' - it's not there!
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
            X