Valve Adjustment YES or NO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Adjustment YES or NO

This is a question about a possible educated gamble....

I know from reading on the site that I need to check and possibly adjust my valves prior to reinstalling the cleaned and jetted carbs.

My question is regarding whether the 78 GS1000's valve gaskets (WHEN PURCHASED NEW) had the extra crossover piece left attached when people purchased them from the dealership?

Since my bike still has the extra gasket going across, I am thinking maybe the valves have already been checked by a PO.... so if it were you, would you still take the valve cover apart to check everything before tuning the carbs?
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Oh, yes, I would most definitely check all of those valves.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

If you don't know when the last valve check was, then yes, you need to check the valves.

The cross-piece should be carefully removed after re-installation of the head cover. It's mostly there to prevent tearing of the slender, delicate gasket material during shipping. If you drop something across it, it can tear the sealing gasket surfaces. Ask me how I know...

Comment

Adjust the valves. The last guy in there didn't do it right if he did it at all.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
          My question is regarding whether the 78 GS1000's valve gaskets (WHEN PURCHASED NEW) had the extra crossover piece left attached when people purchased them from the dealership?
          Good question.
          Maybe someone that remembers, when they purchased one new, knows the answer.

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Some did, some didn't. Now go adjust your valves before they burn up.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

YES, check them! To measure is to know! The most you'll be out by checking them is replacing the valve cover gasket, you could frag the top end by not checking them.
                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post

YES, check them! To measure is to know! The most you'll be out by checking them is replacing the valve cover gasket, you could frag the top end by not checking them.
                  Awesome post Allie...When ever someone says the word "assume" I automatically think about that episode of "The Odd Couple". I remember it as a kid and have never forgoten it! Thanks..
                  Trevor
                  No signature :(

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I guess I PRESUMED that would be your answer...but the lazy and cheap part of my personality was struggling with it.

I know after I follow everything to the T i will feel much better about the bike.
                    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

When I bought my '78 GS1000E with less than 500 miles on it in '79, I don't believe it had that piece going accross it. When I first saw a bike with that gasket on it, I was thinking it was the wrong gasket, why else would that piece be on there? but that was way back then, I know better now.

Check your valves! peace of mind, what if it was already done?
                      Like someone already said, doesn't mean it was done right.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

measuring and adjusting valves is fairly easy. I has the added benefit of not providing the smug with an opportunity to use that hackneyed Assume bit of nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                          The most you'll be out by checking them is replacing the valve cover gasket
                          Unless he accidentally busts off a valve cover bolt or two.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                            Unless he accidentally busts off a valve cover bolt or two.
                            SHHHHHHHHHHH! Remember, we don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents.
                            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                            X