GK tank on GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GK tank on GL?

From what I've researched, the consensus on things like this is you can do almost anything if you want to go to enough trouble but it's often not feasible. I'm considering getting a GK tank to try to fit on my '83 1100GL.
    I know I have read of at least one 850GL fitted with a larger tank (maybe from an 850G). Does anyone have any knowledge right off the top of their head whether adapting a GK tank to my GL would be an especially tough project? From the fiches, it seems the GK tank has 2 bolt holes in the rear like the GL. Maybe it's significantly longer and I guess the seat would have to be altered.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Anybody? Bump
    1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

If you add the forward mount to the frame and cut off the L mount, I believe it will fit. The spot is there in the frame for the mount to be added, so it shouldn't be too hard. NOt absolutely sure it will fit, or how well it will fit around the seat, but the spot for the mount should be there....
      Last edited by tkent02; 10-08-2012, 04:58 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks. I think I will see if I can do it.
        1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Another item to consider is the clearance from the forks to the tank, when the front wheel is turned all the way to either side.

The leading-axle fork on the GL has different triple trees, which move the forks back a bit to bring them back, behind the axle.
          (This leaves the axle the same distance from the engine, keeping steering geometry the same.)
          With those forks being back an inch or so, they might bump into a larger tank that is sitting farther forward than the stock tank.

Having more gas available is always nice, but you are only adding just over a gallon.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Dantheman has a 750 tank fitted to his 850 L from memory... might be of some help.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have an 82 850L tank on my 750T.
              It wasn't a direct bolt on, but wasn't hard to install.
              I had to hammer a little on the bottom of the tank to make room for frame to fit.
              Both tanks had 2 bolt holes at the rear, but not in the same spots, so I had to drill 2 holes to bolt the tank down.
              I had to lay a couple rubber strips along the frame backbone as certain rpms would cause the tank to make a horrible loud vibration noise.

FWIW

Tank
              Also my seat is not stock, but if it was it would look very funny with an L tank.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and a special thanks to Highway Glider for taking the time to upload the pics that will surely help me figure it out. It's been wet here and I haven't been able to ride for a few days and getting home late and tired has resulted in me not scoping things out more on my end. I did notice a few days ago that my forks are quite close to the tank as it is when the bars are turned hard one way so, Steve, you may be right.
                1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

I'm planning on a similar swap. DanTheMan did one also on his 850 (View his story http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=160112). What I've found out is you need to swap the triple trees as well, cut off the existing tank ear nubs on the frame and relocate them to the bolt holes holding the plastic shroud. You may need to adjust the seat location a bit as well.

DOUBLE CHECK THIS INFORMATION PRIOR TO ANY MODIFICATION!!! This is a customization job and you need to check your information.

Comment

Working...
                  X