i cleaned my carbs without disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i cleaned my carbs without disassembly

okay just posting this because i know how everyone says you have to tear your carbs completely apart and dip them and get o-rings. i was about to do it but i decided to take my float bowls off first and blast out the jets the best i could first. the left two where totally clogged (bike was sitting 10+ years with half a tank). cleaned those best i could and the bike would turn over and almost start. i realized my vacuum line wasnt closed off all the way and it started!

it was running but not that great, so i removed the carbs and while they where still on the gang plate i cleaned the slides blasted everthing i could get to without tearing down the carbs. sealed my air box put the carbs back on and my bike runs like a champ. i still have the original petcock that was siezed but i unstuck it, didnt even change the petcock o-ring.

so i was very lucky my bike is from california and was garaged so the intake boots ect... are still nice and rubbery which im sure helped alot.

but what im getting at is i tried everything to get the bike to run without having to do a huge job. if i would have listened to everyone on here i would have my carbs in pieces then i would have to get a carbtune and sink them, then it might not run right after i do everything, and i wouldnt have had to in the first place.

sorry for the rant, just wanted to say just try everything you can before you go in over your head tearing your carbs apart, you might not even need too

im going to get flamed for this i know it lol

Originally posted by Mad Mark View Post
    im going to get flamed for this i know it lol
    Mildly maybe. But you got 90% of the way to doing it properly and the other 10% isn't difficult. So while you may be satisfied now, you may still have problems coming your way which will cause you to do the job properly down the road.
    Perhaps you'll feel more confident later.....
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

time will tell my friend ive put a couple thousand miles on the bike and no problems so far. im plenty confident in my machine right now it runs to perfect! except a noisey clutch basket.

Comment

Maybe the PO had triple dosed it with Seafoam or equivalent ten years ago- anyways, lucky you, do the carbs still have EPA blocking plugs over the idle/air mixture screws?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Mad Mark, you and I are cut from the same material.
          And I have done what you stated above. Many times.
          But after doing the whole "O-ring and dip" routine, I have been converted.
          At 44 yrs old, I got my first can of dip 2 weeks ago. I love it.
          If I had a whole Saturday without interuption, I could have done the whole thing without any shortcuts. All in one weeknight ? Prob not. ( Yeah, I move slow sometimes)
          But I feel a lot better knowing there is one -less- thing that will leave me stranded 100 miles from home.
          1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
          1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
          1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
          Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Mine sat up for a few years with sh!tty gas and wouldn't run. I took the carb rack off and soaked them over night in engine solvent (5 gal bucket). Put em back on next day and it ran like new. To this day the carbs have never been apart. Now that its 30 years old I may crack a can of berrymans, buy the ol gal some orings, do the full overhaul, and celebrate .
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

And I also had a noisy clutch basket ! $##@@#%^&%^@# basket !!!
              1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
              1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

Comment

Your carbs are full of hard and brittle O-rings just waiting to spring a leak and you did nothing to rectify the situation. Hope your AAA is paid up because your carbs can start spewing fuel at any time leaving you stranded.

While you are at this "neglect the maintenance" kick, you may as well neglect the valve adjustment too. When the valves get too tight, and burn themselves and the valve seats, then you can just get a new bike.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mark View Post
                  okay just posting this because i know how everyone says you have to tear your carbs completely apart and dip them and get o-rings.

put the carbs back on and my bike runs like a champ.
                  With no new O-rings? We don't like the sound of that. No sir-ee Bob.
                  and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                    With no new O-rings? We don't like the sound of that. No sir-ee Bob.
                    Hey Bob, I just put an order in a couple hours ago with ya for new seals, take care of me now..Bill

Comment

Bet he doesnt know what a GS is SUPPOSED to actually run like in the first place. And for that noisey clutch basket...well golly gee batman!!! Guess what!! Poorly operating carbs and out of sync carbs can make that RUNS LIKE A CHAMP engine buck and kick and MIMMIC a bad clutch basket sound. All youve really done is blow JUST ENOUGH crap out to let it run halfazzed decently...but hey guys with several of these bikes and many many eyars of real life experience are all just crazy. Im not flaming you atall..I am sitting here laughing my azz off hysterically because I can just see you at 3 AM trying to wake anyone within 50 miles with a trailer to come get you.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Bet he doesnt know what a GS is SUPPOSED to actually run like in the first place. And for that noisey clutch basket...well golly gee batman!!! Guess what!! Poorly operating carbs and out of sync carbs can make that RUNS LIKE A CHAMP engine buck and kick and MIMMIC a bad clutch basket sound. All youve really done is blow JUST ENOUGH crap out to let it run halfazzed decently...but hey guys with several of these bikes and many many eyars of real life experience are all just crazy. Im not flaming you atall..I am sitting here laughing my azz off hysterically because I can just see you at 3 AM trying to wake anyone within 50 miles with a trailer to come get you.
                        I bet he's riding 10 year old rubber also on that temporarily runs like a champ bike with unadjusted valves .
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

To borrow a phrase from Allie in another thread......OH THE JAPANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            ....Poorly operating carbs and out of sync carbs can make that RUNS LIKE A CHAMP engine buck and kick and MIMMIC a bad clutch basket ....
                            Ummm, I think this thread just got UGLY. AGAIN.
                            I had a bad clutch basket. Sounds like he does, too. ( It sounded like all the main bearings were bad. )
                            Someone was looking for a "pat on the back".. instead, you poke his eyes out ???
                            Not everyone is looking for a restoration-correct solution.
                            There are some who want to ride a bike to work tomorrow.
                            There are some who have no $$$ to do it 100 % "by the book".
                            AND... There are some people who want to get a bike running without getting abused !!!
                            'Just sayin... some of you guys can be a lil' rough....
                            Last edited by exdirtbiker; 10-07-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Its not a RESTORATION repair..its a coomon sense repair

2..its not just to work...it has to bring him home.

3..Its not about money when its about 50 to 60 bucks TOPS for a can of Berrymans and the oring kit.

4...Better that I poke his eyes out now before its 3 AM and hes digging them out himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X