i cleaned my carbs without disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..be prepared.

Well, I am one who will cut corners when I can reason it out... but I have to say that Nessism and the other guys on this forum are spot on with their advice. I am no cycle guru, but I rebuilt my carbs and I was very happy that I did it. When I took the jets out the o-rings broke before I could roll them completely off. They actually crumbled. My bike was a 79 and it only had 13K miles on it when I bought it last year. It really was not that hard to just rebuild them and I learned a lot in the process.

Anyway, I hope your easy fix works like a charm, but I imagine it will be a short time until your o-rings give way.

Peace,

Comment

No doubt what you did worked- for now. Call it luck or just happen stance.
      Those carbs or any carbs that sit for more than a year will need a break down and clean. The ethanol effect eats rubber like nothing else. All that has to happen to leave you stranded is a small chunk of varnish from 10 years ago to make it's way through the carbs and get clogged. And that varnish is in there.
      I would stick to riding in populated areas until those carbs are done proper- exactly as they are stated here in the forums. Your the one who is gonna pay the price, not us- those of us who know better than to cut corners on such a basic task. Good Luck-
      Those in here that think telling the TRUTH is harsh - well that's what real Men do- It's not the the G sensitivity resources. There's the way it is, and the way it ought to be.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2012, 10:58 PM.

Comment

boy you guys can read me like a book! lol, havent adjusted the valves yet (plan to) and was riding around on the rotted old 10+ year old rubber (very slowly no turns over 5 mph), just put on new Shinkos, and new brake pads are on the way. oh and i did buy Roberts o-ring kit so when my bike starts puking gas i can fix that. btw i heard california Berrymans carb dip sucks.

and my dad had a 1982 katana that he sold a few years ago, and he bought my bike new back in the day for my grandfather. so he knows how a GS is supposed to run.

im not saying you guys dont know what your talking about GSR and its members have helped out tons.

ill be sure to tell everyone about when i got stranded at 3 AM and had to wake everyone up to get a ride lol.

Comment

Well after the above post....I will give up on this member and this thread....

Your offered some good sound advice and knowledge, yet you crap all over it....

good luck in getting assistance in the future, I have a feeling a lot of members here will be ignoring forther posts and or putting you on their ignore list....

Cheers

but I am sure your post was all in jest.....

Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2012, 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            good luck in getting assistance in the future, I have a feeling a lot of members here will be ignoring forther posts and or putting you on therr ignore list....

No then we'd miss the post when he finally eats the crow and has to do the carbs right.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I also have a '82 GS1100EZ and I have never cleaned the carbs, the bike runs great! I had Chef do it!
              I also had a clutch problem, wouldn't engage smoothly, but it fixed itself

Your clutch rattle could be caused by a loose nut holding it all together
              fairly common on these GS1100's.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                Well after the above post....I will give up on this member and this thread....

Your offered some good sound advice and knowledge, yet you crap all over it....

good luck in getting assistance in the future, I have a feeling a lot of members here will be ignoring forther posts and or putting you on their ignore list....

Cheers

but I am sure your post was all in jest.....

i hope thats not the case.

ive followed everyones advice except dipping my carbs, and just wanted to tell you guys it runs great with out doing it.

sorry if im coming off as a smart a** its not on purpose.

Comment

IMO the OP was never saying "dont dip your carbs and use new o rings"....he was just saying "Hey, I gave it a shot to just spray my carbs out, and it worked"
                  He was just happy that for a moment his quick cleaning got him on the road. I also beleive , by evidence of his saying he got the o ring kit that he fully expects to rebuild his carbs sometime in the future and am sure he is aware the old o rings are prone to failure.
                  I just posted yesterday in "what did you wrench on today" how I tried to repair a set of 4 intake boots , as the rubber was seperating from the metal base. I certainly did not say/elude that "Its a waste of money to buy new ones, or unneccesary to replace the boots to have a good running bike" I was just experimenting on a repair and using them temporarily just to get the bike running to test the engine/trans.
                  Neither myself in my little test, nor the OP in this test beleive the fixes are long term/guranteed perfect, I think the OP was just "giving it a whirl" to see if his experiment would work. It is when people on forum refuse to listen to experience and time tested methods/facts about these bikes that they need to be called out so to speak and told "If you want to fight this solid and sure information we are giving you , then our help is pointless, so we shall hold back in giving it"
                  The OP kept a fun attitude even after getting confronted and I admire that. He is just having fun, let him try his little carb test. He will learn and rebuild his carbs when the time comes....at 3 am. Just like he said. ha ha
                  It is just darn ridiculous the amount of new members who refuse to take advice. Fighting the obvious and inevitable that tons of regular maintenance and replacement parts are in order to have a proper running machine. I am new myself but you wont find me even asking why my bike is bogging when I have refused to change the intake boots or my carbs are dripping or there is gas in my oil when I have not replaced the petcock and torn down my carbs. I try to be helpful on this forum, but the unresearched questions are rage inducing sometimes. I just walk away from them . Once again, I think the OP is fully aware of the difference between proper and just getting by for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mark View Post
                    oh and i did buy Roberts o-ring kit so when my bike starts puking gas i can fix that.
                    See? We knew all along you were a solid, upright citizen.

And yeah, there's a difference in the California Berryman's, but I have no first-hand info on how less effective the stuff is (if at all). For the Chemos in the crowd, their (Berryman's) MSDS has all the details.
                    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________
                    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

The '82 GS1100EZ is not all that hard to work on, at least compared to some other models. It doesn't have points, carb boot O rings, drive shaft,
                      valves are easy, rockers instead of buckets. Parts are easier to get than say for a GS1000. I never had any problems with the petcock.
                      Rebuilding the carbs would be probably the biggest challenge. The clutches are a sore spot, and the early models didn't have welded cranks.

Here's the service manual

Here's the carb rebuild tutorial, courtesy of Ed
                      sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                        The '82 GS1100EZ is not all that hard to work on, at least compared to some other models. It doesn't have points, carb boot O rings, drive shaft,
                        valves are easy, rockers instead of buckets. Parts are easier to get than say for a GS1000. I never had any problems with the petcock.
                        Rebuilding the carbs would be probably the biggest challenge. The clutches are a sore spot, and the early models didn't have welded cranks.

Here's the service manual

Here's the carb rebuild tutorial, courtesy of Ed
                        http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf
                        yeah mine doesnt have a welded crank, its a early 82. i think the biggest challenge is getting the dang carbs off the bike! lucky for me my boots where nice and rubbery so it only took about 10 minutes.

and ive used that service manual a bunch. i just wonder why its on the mt sac website? that school is like half hour from me.

oh and where you serious about the nut being loose on the clutch? im wondering if you where joking because it seems i made everyone hate me lol

Comment

. i just wonder why its on the mt sac website? that school is like half hour from me.

oh and where you serious about the nut being loose on the clutch? im wondering if you where joking because it seems i made everyone hate me lol
                          The manuals and everything else is on the Mt. SAC site because our resident librarian and Welcome Wagon Host, BassCliff, works there.

If your clutch is making noise, one likely symptom is a loose nut.

We try to be serious about stuff until we are shown that the recipient doesn't care about what we are saying, then we might switch our attitude to "we don't care, either". I am not saying that you are one of those recipients (yet), but there are several points in this thread that you seem to be ignoring or passing off as "I haven't had any problems with that", so you might be headed in that direction.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i think the biggest challenge is getting the dang carbs off the bike! lucky for me my boots where nice and rubbery so it only took about 10 minutes.

Do you think it's going to be easier to get the carbs back on than off?
                            Of course I was serious (me jest? all the time, but not this time) about the nut loose on the clutch. Here is but one of many examples. Read the thread in it's entirety.

and another,
                            sigpic
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                              Do you think it's going to be easier to get the carbs back on than off?
                              Of course I was serious (me jest? all the time, but not this time) about the nut loose on the clutch. Here is but one of many examples. Read the thread in it's entirety.

and another,
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=Clutch+Nut
                              i think it was equally hard to put them back on as it was taking them off if remember. thanks for the links and the tip, never read anything about that before.

Comment

You didnt make anyone HATE you....you made us all care enough to save you the short lived joy thats gonna turn to utter sadness and desperation and that voice in your head telling you..."See, I should have done it right in the first place". Youre not the first thats come along with the snake oil fix...only to be posting in short order that they got stranded and had to be rescued...your choice though.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X