X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breather hose question?

2 questions :

1-
    The breather hose that connects from the top of the crankcase, to the top of the airbox. Can that be any basic tube material?

Fuel hoses are one thing, but am I right in assuming any old hose will do for the breather ?

Also, it is a 7/16th inner diameter hose if im not mistaken, right?

The bike is a 1981 GS 650GL

2- I spent hours on BassCliffs website, here, and with my manual to ftry and find the hose diameters I needed. Didn't find anything. Had to basically work backwards from a parts website and try to find the common ones.

Did I miss a post about this?

This is the info I found. Hope i'm right!

Petcock fuel >> Fuel filter - 5/16
    Vacuum to petcock - 7/32
    Breather hose - 7/16

1) As long as it stands up to oil, then sure.

2) Sounds about right.

Comment

Thank you kindly

Comment

Haven't been able to find a replacement breather hose anywhere in Montreal. I'm freaking out. Can I just use a regular PVC hose? Does the breather hose fumes get hot?

Does it really need to be oil resistant ?

Comment

Originally posted by DrBunsen View Post
          Haven't been able to find a replacement breather hose anywhere in Montreal. I'm freaking out. Can I just use a regular PVC hose? Does the breather hose fumes get hot?

Does it really need to be oil resistant ?
          no, the pipe will not get to hot and minimal oil,if any will drain through it (unless your motor is seriously poorly).
          normal pvc pipe will be fine, as will any flexible pipe you can find.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by DrBunsen View Post
            This is the info I found. Hope i'm right!

Petcock fuel >> Fuel filter - 5/16
            Vacuum to petcock - 7/32
            Breather hose - 7/16
            Would you believe that the ONLY parts on the bike that came from the factory with INCH measurements were the tires?

Yep, I think they were specified as 3.50H-19 for the front and 4.50H-16 for the rear.

EVERYTHING ELSE came with METRIC measurements.

Your fuel hose should go straight from the petcock to the carbs (no filter), and is a 7mm hose. 5/16" is 8mm, which is too big, 1/4" is 6.25mm, which is too small.

The vacuum line from the carb to the petcock is 4.5mm, which is about 11/64" (good luck finding that size).

The breather hose is 11mm, which is just a touch less than 7/16", close enough to work, but there is no substitute for having the PROPER hose.

Where to get them? You said you looked at BassCliff's site, did you not find the section with the parts fiche? Look at any of the vendors listed on his site, but some of our favorites include Boulevard Suzuki, G&S Suzuki, Part Shark and Z1 Enterprises.

Don't get shocked by what seems to be rather high prices for the fuel and breather hoses. Yeah, they are about $15 or so for each one, but what you actually get is about a six-foot piece of hose.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X