A lost cause set of carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lost cause set of carbs?

As I have only just begun to have time this week to take apart the last 2 carb bodies, they both had stripped screws. That makes 3/4 of the carbs with stripped screws before I even touched anything. One has a stripped pilot jet/screw (how you strip the pilot screw, I don't even know), another with a completely stripped and drilled INTO pilot jet, and another stripped pilot jet(which was my guinea pig to try to get out the jet... didn't go too well). To be honest, I think just buying a new set of carbs would work much better than trying to take out the stripped, and drilled screws. Especially since I don't have access to the right powertools to get the job done correctly anyways

My thoughts are rather than just buying a couple bodies and transplanting parts, I may as well buy a whole new set for just as much and have some spares. Your thoughts? I will also be dropping almost $160 on intake boots soon as well so... This may slow down my progress even more

Originally posted by Bonehead View Post
    As I have only just begun to have time this week to take apart the last 2 carb bodies, they both had stripped screws. That makes 3/4 of the carbs with stripped screws before I even touched anything. One has a stripped pilot jet/screw (how you strip the pilot screw, I don't even know), another with a completely stripped and drilled INTO pilot jet, and another stripped pilot jet(which was my guinea pig to try to get out the jet... didn't go too well). To be honest, I think just buying a new set of carbs would work much better than trying to take out the stripped, and drilled screws. Especially since I don't have access to the right powertools to get the job done correctly anyways

My thoughts are rather than just buying a couple bodies and transplanting parts, I may as well buy a whole new set for just as much and have some spares. Your thoughts? I will also be dropping almost $160 on intake boots soon as well so... This may slow down my progress even more
    I have a set of carbs for your bike if you are interested Pm me
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I will take the damaged carbs off your hands if you are just planning to toss them...

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead View Post
        I will also be dropping almost $160 on intake boots soon as well so... This may slow down my progress even more
        $104.56 on intake boots, carb intake boots are $26.14 each plus shipping.

$44.20 on the airbox boots.

Another $53.44 for carb and air box boot clamps, inner rings, carb boot screws and O-rings.

Total= $202.20! plus shipping! Whoa...............................
        That hurts. Hopefully, you're just talking carb boots.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
          I have a set of carbs for your bike if you are interested Pm me
          PM'd

Originally posted by JTNWEVO View Post
          I will take the damaged carbs off your hands if you are just planning to toss them...
          I'll see what I do with them when I am done with this and get the bike running. When I do, I'll drop you a PM

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          $104.56 on intake boots, carb intake boots are $26.14 each plus shipping.

$44.20 on the airbox boots.

Another $53.44 for carb and air box boot clamps, inner rings, carb boot screws and O-rings.

Total= $202.20! plus shipping! Whoa...............................
          That hurts. Hopefully, you're just talking carb boots.
          When I took my carbs off, some of the boots came off as well, so its the expensive ass intake boots. Ouch is right Thank Jesus I have a job

Comment

All the jets are pretty inexpensive, so if you have to destroy them during disassembly (and dont damage the carb bodies) it would be worth keeping them.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
              All the jets are pretty inexpensive, so if you have to destroy them during disassembly (and dont damage the carb bodies) it would be worth keeping them.
              I wonder... How would I go about getting a drilled out jet though?

Comment

Working...
              X