Bike shuts down with throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
    Run it with the fuel cap off to see if it's a vent problem.

You said it was jetted for pods. What jets are in there?
    I got 117.5 mains, stock pilots, 2-1/4 turns on mixture.

Comment

Your mains are too small - stock is 112.5. 117.5s are standard on the '83 bikes. I would have thought you would be well in the 120s. Plus are the needles adjustable? On our bikes they are, on the US bikes I know a lot aren't. You might be best to just follow Blowerbike's advice and buy a Dynojet kit.

Will she rev up with the choke on, or partially on?
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

i bet he has the chrome filters also..
        lets see?

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Your mains are too small - stock is 112.5. 117.5s are standard on the '83 bikes. I would have thought you would be well in the 120s. Plus are the needles adjustable? On our bikes they are, on the US bikes I know a lot aren't. You might be best to just follow Blowerbike's advice and buy a Dynojet kit.

Will she rev up with the choke on, or partially on?
          Stock jets are 112.5, rule of thumb is up one size for pod filters, and one size for 4into2 exhaust. Might be one size under, but not enough to cause it to shut down like its running out of gas.
          Have not tried it with choke out or partially out, will try later today.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            i bet he has the chrome filters also..
            lets see?
            Nope, there black!

Comment

Originally posted by bikebuilder2009 View Post
              Stock jets are 112.5, rule of thumb is up one size for pod filters, and one size for 4into2 exhaust. .
              Pods make more difference than a pipe.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Pods make more difference than a pipe.
                As I said, maybe one size under, not enough to make it act as you are running out of gas under throttle.

Comment

ok my last post...
                  if you do not use a jet kit the bike will rev to about 4k then bog and maybe die/try to die when under a load.
                  its all in the needles.
                  is black filters a brand name?
                  just trying to help dude.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    ok my last post...
                    if you do not use a jet kit the bike will rev to about 4k then bog and maybe die/try to die when under a load.
                    its all in the needles.
                    is black filters a brand name?
                    just trying to help dude.
                    Ok, again rejetted carb, raised the needles, adjusted floats, benched synced, mixture screw at 2-1/4 turns. What am I getting in a jet kit that I have not done here? Just asking for some advice on what could be the problem or what I should try, other than "I bet he has chrome filters". This is my fourth Gs engine project, and have had no problems until now. Oh, and by the way I have k&N filters, tried them too, same results.
                    Thanks anyway

Comment

Originally posted by bikebuilder2009 View Post
                      Ok, again rejetted carb, raised the needles, adjusted floats, benched synced, mixture screw at 2-1/4 turns. What am I getting in a jet kit that I have not done here? Just asking for some advice on what could be the problem or what I should try, other than "I bet he has chrome filters". This is my fourth Gs engine project, and have had no problems until now. Oh, and by the way I have k&N filters, tried them too, same results.
                      Thanks anyway
                      "raised the needles"???
                      are they adjustable or did you just shim them?
                      fact is that you can not make a GS with vacuum carbs run throughout the entire RPM range properly with out a st.3 jet kit when using air filters.
                      this info is for US models only.
                      i just gave you 20+ years of trials and tribulations...thats why dynajet starting making the kits.
                      adjustable needles that have a different shape...more taper...not blunt.

Comment

Working...
                      X