Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard start/kickstart not seeming to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard start/kickstart not seeming to work?

First and formost it needs a battery. It won't run any of the dash lights with out a charger so that could be affecting the kick starter.

Ive just reassembled the carbs for the second time and put them on the bike. I have a manual petcock so i blocked the vacuum port on carb #3. All that the bike is doing is cranking over, (with the electric start). The bike won't pop or anything, just cranks. Im lost as to why its doing this?

The second thing, is the kick start doesn't seem to start it either. It did work when i first got the bike and it would sometimes start after 4-5 kicks. Im aware that it was mostly carburetors then, but thought i would throw it out there.

If you have any idea on my problem, or have any tips, they're greatly appreciated!

Have you adjusted the valves lately?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes. I adjusted them after i got the bike. Unfortunately, I believe 3 of the valves are slightly too tight. I used the excel spreadsheet and got the valves it said i needed and three are still too tight. Not sure if it was user error or what, but i just closed em up in hopes of getting the bike driving before winter.

Comment

It would help if we know what bike we are talking about. Check the basics. If you have fuel, ignition, compression in the right order it should run.

Comment

Sorry, i always forget to add what bike. Its a 79 GS750E. Has the vm26SS carbs. It started before, so it leads me to believe its fuel, but they have just been cleaned. So i thought it could perhaps be ignition.

Comment

Well, are your plugs wet after you try to start it?

is there 12V at the coils?

Do you have points?
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It's not going to run with out some juice in the battery, it has to have 12 volts to power the coils. It has an stator and rotor which basically make up a alternator.you need a magneto in order to run without a battery and these don't have them. Not like an old 2 stroke. Have to have some source of juice.
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Im unaware if they are wet, ill do it again and pull them.

Ill check if i get 12V at the coils.

Yes i do have points.

OK! Thanks, but i did have it hooked up to the charger, and then jumped from a car (wasn't running).

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

More of what they said above...
                  I had a CB750 with a weak battery or starter...
                  would crank all day, but no start. Kick start on one kick.
                  Put a GOOD battery (jumper) on it, and it started instantly.
                  They need enough juice to run starter AND ignition...
                  1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                  1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                  1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                  Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Ok well after getting more fuel in the tank. It started with choke and carb spray and idled at 2000. Once it got off choke it ran much smoother than before, but i would have to push the throttle close and it would slowely rev down. This could be the throttle cables, or a lean condition, correct? It no longer hesitates and seems to run alot better. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by NBraun View Post
                      Ok well after getting more fuel in the tank. It started with choke and carb spray and idled at 2000. Once it got off choke it ran much smoother than before, but i would have to push the throttle close and it would slowely rev down. This could be the throttle cables, or a lean condition, correct? It no longer hesitates and seems to run alot better. Any thoughts on this?
                      Open the throttle with the engine off. Let it go, the throttles should close with a loud "clack".

If they don't it's a cable thing, or maybe the carbs themselves are sticky.

If they do, it's probably an air leak thing.

If you have to push the throttle closed, that should tell you something.

Is the return spring there?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ok Its probably the cables then. Its not so much pushing them closed the whole way, its more like the last cm of throttle i have to push for it to rev down, and yes i have the return spring on. All i need to do now is sync them, but 3 and 4 exhaust seems to be having smoke out the end, i think its because its too rich, but am unsure.It doesn't smell like oil. Right now the carbs have 110 mains, clip moved down one notch, and the air screws in one turn from factory. Any tips?

After jumping it earlier and hooking it up this time, it started first kick, but nothing works with out the charger so it defiantly needs a new battery.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2012, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Any tuning tips?

Comment

While you are looking for gremlins, check the condition of the battery ground cable. Check both ends for corrosion as this can prevent adequate current flow in the system.

Comment

Working...
                            X