Only getting about 30 mpg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only getting about 30 mpg.

Hello I have a 79 GS 750 and recently rebuilt the carbs. Got everything running well but i just drove 100 miles and it took 3.5 gallons. Any suggestions here? Ive got KN pods and 4>1 Exhaust

i have an 1100 with pods n pipe and 36mm carbies,if i ride hard i get 28-30,go easy i get about 35-38,if that helps.
    Someone else will hime in,i broke the ice.But thay is horrible gas mileage.How hard are u riding her?

Comment

not soft, i ride her pretty hard, all city too. Never go on the highway just because of experience at high speeds. About to take a long trip tho so i'll check mileage again when i return

Comment

That is way too low. My GPz (which many claim the GS 750 engine was based on) gets high 30s to low 40s. Pipe, pods, jet kit, 810cc kit. And I have a twitchy right hand.
        You clearly have carb issues. Who jetted the carbs for you after the pipe and pods were installed?

Comment

I bought the bike with em. Stock jets are 100 for my VM26 carbs and someone put in 105s.

Comment

Originally posted by Icculus88 View Post
            I bought the bike with em. Stock jets are 100 for my VM26 carbs and someone put in 105s.
            Your mains should be up around 117.5 or 120, though I don't expect that will help your MPG. You must be running very rich on the bleeder jet.

Do you know if the bleeder jets were changed? You should be good with stock 15.
            Last edited by allojohn; 10-24-2012, 06:01 PM. Reason: adding
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Allojohn, I don't know. And yea it's running rich. I know very little about tuning carbs, I am a GS newbie.

Comment

Allojohn, I don't know. And yea it's running rich. I know very little about tuning carbs, I am a GS newbie.
                Well, you're in the right place to find out all you ever wanted to know about them carbs. And if you want this sorted you are going to have to learn about them. Fortunately they are very simple.
                Do you know when they were last cleaned? And if they were properly dipped?
                Go here and read this through several times. Then when you're ready go at it talk to us on the forum as you're proceeding and we'll make sure you stay on track.

There are a number of other things you'll need to check such as the valve clearances, timing etc, but.....

You'll have a sweet running machine in no time.
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

BTW did you get the BassCliff welcome when you joined the forum?
                  -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Jeez, ignore everything I just said. So, you've already rebuilt the carbs (one day I'll learn to read). What is the size of the bleeder (fuel) jet?
                    -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Don't know. I rebuilt them without noting the size

Comment

My bike was running rich and getting crappy gas milage too. Took the lid off the off the air filter and now I'm getting 20-25% better gas milage and more importantly for me is it is performing like a hooker on a saturday night!!
                        No signature :(

Comment

I've got pods

Comment

I pulled #3 and 4 plugs and they have a lot of soot on then. Only after 100 miles. Should I start adjusting pilot air screw?

Comment

I pulled #3 and 4 plugs and they have a lot of soot on then. Only after 100 miles. Should I start adjusting pilot air screw?
                              Start by screwing in the fuel jets lightly seating them and then unscrew 1 whole turn. Screw in the air jets again lightly seating them and then unscrew 2 whole turns. Begin plug chops or get a Colortune.

When you rebuilt the carbs you did dip them properly and replace the o-rings with Mr. Barrs kit, right?

If you want to be sure you should take the carbs off and find out what size the fuel jets are......
                              -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                              X