Only getting about 30 mpg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Icculus88 View Post
    Ok so my next will be to check needle jet and put in some 117.5s mains. And throw in new plugs and see if there is a change in startup and idle. That sound like a smart move?
    Check the fuel jet, not the needle. If it's 15 it's stock and just needs adjusting. If it's anything else you'll need to put 15's in there. And while you're there put in the 117.5 mains.

You probably don't want to hear this but the e-clips on the needle jet should be dropped to position four, counting from the top down.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
      Check the fuel jet, not the needle. If it's 15 it's stock and just needs adjusting. If it's anything else you'll need to put 15's in there. And while you're there put in the 117.5 mains.

You probably don't want to hear this but the e-clips on the needle jet should be dropped to position four, counting from the top down.
      Icculus88,
      fuel jet = pilot jet

The pilot jet, fuel screw, and air screw are your main players for the pilot circuit of the carb, the pilot circuit of the carb is for idle to 1/4ish throttle. (see earlier allojohn post)
      Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2012, 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Ok so the pilot jet=fuel jet=bleeder. I am looking at the VM rebuild PDF of basscliff's site. Must the carbs be removed for this?

Comment

Ok so the pilot jet=fuel jet=bleeder. I am looking at the VM rebuild PDF of basscliff's site. Must the carbs be removed for this?
          Only a nut-job would try to change the fuel jets and main jets without taking the carbs off. Are you a nut-job?
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
            Only a nut-job would try to change the fuel jets and main jets without taking the carbs off. Are you a nut-job?
            Changing jets on the bike is easy. Cleaning the carbs properly so they might have a chance of working correctly is not.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok so the pilot jet=fuel jet=bleeder.
              No it's a pilot jet. The other terms are meaningless. There are also pilot fuel screws and air screws. Learn what they do, it's only possible to tune it correctly if you know how it works.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I can't say for sure I'm not a nutjob. . But I'll take carbs off and get at this when I can. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X