Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust system GS850G V 850L

Hi GS fans,
    Can anyone tell me if the exhaust and mufflers on a 81 GS850G are the same as the system on the GS850L.They look shorter on the L model but I can't determine whether its the mufflers or headers.
    Appreciate any feed-back.
    Peter - Melbourne Australia

The L mufflers are shorter. Both will interchange though.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      The L mufflers are shorter. Both will interchange though.
      Provided both are 79-81 or 82+. Otherwise some fabrication at the rear mounts is necessary. Just sayin', for completeness.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The L mufflers sound like crap.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          The L mufflers sound like crap.
          Some say they sound like an outboard motor. More so from behind, I think. It is a distinctly different sound.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hi,

It seems the headers are the same, the mufflers are different. I have an "L" exhaust on my 850G. It works fine. Here are "before" and "after" pictures.

I do like the sound of the regular "G" mufflers better, but the "L" exhaust isn't bad. I wear earplugs anyway.

If you like, you can read the whole sad story about Jessie's transformation by clicking the link in my sig.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 10-26-2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

G exhaust v L

Thanks for all the info guys - as I thought the L is a shorter set up.Sorry Bass I liked the before photos but thats only a personal preference.Sounds like the note is quite different too.Outboard motor from behind??
              I'll keep hunting for an intact G system or get one made up close to original.
              Regards
              Peter Melbourne Australia

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by rexb View Post
                Sorry Bass I liked the before photos but thats only a personal preference.
                If you click on the link and read the whole story you'll see that the changes weren't because I didn't like the original look.

While getting it back on the road, in the most cost-effective manner, the exhaust came along at the right price. (Thank you ReJean!)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by rexb View Post
                  Thanks for all the info guys - as I thought the L is a shorter set up.Sorry Bass I liked the before photos but thats only a personal preference.Sounds like the note is quite different too.Outboard motor from behind??
                  I'll keep hunting for an intact G system or get one made up close to original.
                  Regards
                  Peter Melbourne Australia
                  You could always run the L system while you look for the G system. It would be a shame to not ride at all.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                  X