What is this!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this!?!

Working on the carbs for my 83 GS450GA and I had the #1 (I think) float bowl off and when It came off this came out!

It fell out of the hole here (The hole right in the middle of the picture, just above my pinky.)

I cant find, or at least I don't see it, on the diagram.

So I have 3 questions.

1) What the hell is this for?

2) Do I have all the pieces. Seems like there should be a spring in there somewhere.

3)What order do they go in?

Thanks

I think it just blocks off the passage... probably find that passage is left open in another application of the same carb/float bowl.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Ok after looking into the passage and following it through the carb, it connects to something called the "Diaphragm Assy, Accelerating" (Another part that I cant figure out what it's for. Its a diaphragm that connects to a shaft that runs up to the throttle linkage. I am assuming it provided added fuel when accelerating.

But I dont like to assume. Anyone have more knowledge on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
        I didn't know that bike have "Acceleration pumps".

If one open the throttle really fast the air will get in the engine faster than the fuel can be sucked and atomized. Causind a Lean condition. It can last long enough to loose power even shut the engine off.

The acceleration pump give extra fuel for that critical moment.

DP

edit:

Carburated aircrafts have acceleration pumps because an aircraft engine can and should be able to go from idle to full as fast as a man can smash a thottle.
        Thanks for the info! Now I just have to figure out if I have all the bits...

Comment

Yup, that certainly looks like an accelerator pump shaft sticking up at the bottom of the picture. Checked the original brochure, and your model definitely had them.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

i don't know that carb well, but it sure looks like an accelerator pump check valve.

they are a one way valve when the pump rod is depressed it shoots gas out a jet. when the rod is released it 'opens ' up to draw in more fuel for the next shot.

Comment

Do yo guys know if there is supposed to be a spring in there? I cant find this part in any of the documentation I have. Its like it doesn't exist. Then again...my service manual hasn't arrived yet.

Comment

I did not see those parts in the parts fiche .
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

on the suzuki fiche, it only shows ONE FLOAT BOWL, and thats the one for the other carb.
                  only one carb has the pump.

I suspect they left it off the fiche.. hmmmmm

i'll do some more digging! but we might need someone who has one to let us know whats supposed to be in there....... and where and what order!!
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                    on the suzuki fiche, it only shows ONE FLOAT BOWL, and thats the one for the other carb.
                    only one carb has the pump.

I suspect they left it off the fiche.. hmmmmm

i'll do some more digging! but we might need someone who has one to let us know whats supposed to be in there....... and where and what order!!
                    It won't be the first time that they left stuff off the fiche, I was looking for '78, '79 GS1000 carb choke parts, nothing listed there even though they show the parts.
                    I would think they would show an exploded view of the carbs in the service manual but I couldn't find one on BassCliff's site.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Thanks for all the hard work guys....I lost the bike today(See my build thread for details), but I intend to find out the answer so other GA owners can benefit from my loss.

Comment

Well today my service manual showed up in the mail and look what I found on page 155:

So it seems that the ball bearing is held down by gravity and the tubular weight, then kept in the hole by the clip. No spring required!

For the record, it does not appear on the blow-up of the carb.
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-15-2012, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X