• Show
Clear All

frozen header bolts

Any ideals on how to remove frozen header bolts on a 83 gs 1100e

Penetrating oil, heat, rinse, repeat.

Comment

Mister thanks been trying that for the past 3hrs

Comment

Sometimes it takes multiple applications of penetrating oil over the course of several days.

What are you using for penetrating oil?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pb blaster

Comment

How much heat did you use? Get the bolts red hot and let them cool. Try to turn the bolt both in and out. Back and forth. Once you get the bolt to crack loose just a little, hit them with more oil and more heat. A 1/4" ratchet handle will help remove the temptation of turning the screws too much and snapping them off.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks ness ill try it 2moro. I had them red

Comment

I had 3 sets of header bolts to do when I got my 4 83-5 750's.I let mine soak in penetrating oil applied daily for a week.Then I hit them with a hand impact driver with a 12mm socket.Was told that was the wrong tool here,still trying to figure out why.

Comment

An impact driver will almost guarantee a busted bolt.
                  NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                  Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                    An impact driver will almost guarantee a busted bolt.
                    OK why?seems to me that the downward blow and twisting action will help loosen the bolt with out snapping it.Note I used this method after very liberal applications of penetrating oil,I'm sure trying to use an impact on a dry bolt would be an invitation to disaster.

Comment

My story

Actually, a good outcome story-one of my 650g's, 35k miles, spent most of its' life on the coast of Maine, a few even on an island there. Plenty of opportunity for rust and corrosion, and, as you would expect, a rust-rotten exhaust. So-I faced the prospect of busted bolts with some trepidation, but they all came out ok. What I did was to, first, spray the PB behind the exhaust collar, as directly on the threads as possible, a few separate times.
                      When I used the propane torch, I didn't heat the bolts, but the head material where the bolts threaded in with a thin pencil flame, so as to expand the aluminum, not the bolts. I then used a 3/8 ratchet and socket and applied very steady, firm loosening torque on the bolts. Very steady. And tried to judge carefully whether the response from the bolt movement, when it came, was actual movement, or the feeling of a bolt starting to stretch too much, and then break. It worked, and they all loosened properly. However, a poser: I mentioned that there was considerable salt corrosion in evidence, and when I applied the torch, the aluminum sweated little water drops in the immediate area. The bike had been dry-stored for a couple of years, so no recent exposure to moisture. Anybody else see this happen on stuff you've worked on?
                      Last edited by recycled64; 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM.
                      sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                      '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                      '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                      '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                      '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                      '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                      '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                      '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                      '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                      '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

MAPP Gas + Oxygen = CO2 and H2O. i'm willing to bet it's just the water vapor from your torch condensing on the aluminum. same as when you're in a warm car and you breathe on the inside of the cold car window.

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
                        the aluminum sweated little water drops in the immediate area. The bike had been dry-stored for a couple of years, so no recent exposure to moisture. Anybody else see this happen on stuff you've worked on?

Comment

Interesting

Originally posted by MOC View Post
                          MAPP Gas + Oxygen = CO2 and H2O. i'm willing to bet it's just the water vapor from your torch condensing on the aluminum. same as when you're in a warm car and you breathe on the inside of the cold car window.
                          Hey, thanks, makes a lot of sense!
                          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                            OK why?seems to me that the downward blow and twisting action will help loosen the bolt with out snapping it.Note I used this method after very liberal applications of penetrating oil,I'm sure trying to use an impact on a dry bolt would be an invitation to disaster.
                            In use, the impact driver can break a bolt with no warning. Applying force by hand gives the needed feedback.
                            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Ahhh yes that does make sense.Worked the trick for me 24 times on bikes from a wrecker though.Happy I put SS studs in the 750.
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2012, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X