No announcement yet.

frozen header bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In use, the impact driver can break a bolt with no warning. Applying force by hand gives the needed feedback.
    My experience has been the exact opposite, every bolt I've ever broken was done by hand with a ratchet. Now,whenever I disassemble anything, I only use an impact wrench. Never had a problem since switching to an impact wrench. Its not the hammering from the impact that snaps fasteners but the twisting of the hand ratchet that snaps the bolts off. Usually by the time you feel anything the fastener is getting ready to break.

Comment

Fighting two broken header bolts, right now, and losing. Both bolts at number 2 cylinder. Soaked it in PB as well as an acetone/ATF mix and nothing. Went to heat them and my torch cylinder was empty. (DOH!). At this point, I have most of the material drilled out just shy of going into the threads. Unless somethin miraculous happens by payday, I'll be running thread inserts in. Man, those Time-Serts are pricey!

Comment

You might be interested in my blog entry when I had the same problem:

The restoration project for my dad's 1984 Suzuki GS1100 G.The bike was shipped to the UK and is now in Canterbury for restoration - August 2012.

Greetings
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Congrats for you on those non-stock allen bolts. Everybody has their methods. I can see an impact driver working if the bolt isn't fossilized completely to the head. But I have seen busted bolts from impact drivers too.
          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
          X