Worth the risk?- header bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tatu View Post
    I don't know what "Blue job" is but ordinary metal polish will take away the blueing, but as Sedelen says, get the pipe clean first of dirt.
    You see that extremely bright blue pipe on cylinder no. 3 in my previous GS1100E post below. Don't know what metal polish would've taken it out, but after reading about "Blue Job" decided to give it a try. And afterwards, no blue! So, the stuff does work. But if you don't correct whatever makes it blue, it'll just come back. For me it was rebuilding carbs.

Blue Job!
    I've never used a power tool with Blue Job, just did it the old fashioned way, a damp rag over my fingertip, used as little as I could.
    But check out this video! This guy wastes no time in eliminating the "blueing" and other stuff.
    Watch actual removal of Motorcycle chrome exhaust pipe rust, blueing, boot rubber marks, burnt on plastic bag.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
      You see that extremely bright blue pipe on cylinder no. 3 in my previous GS1100E post below. Don't know what metal polish would've taken it out, but after reading about "Blue Job" decided to give it a try. And afterwards, no blue! So, the stuff does work. But if you don't correct whatever makes it blue, it'll just come back. For me it was rebuilding carbs.

Blue Job!
      I've never used a power tool with Blue Job, just did it the old fashioned way, a damp rag over my fingertip, used as little as I could.
      But check out this video! This guy wastes no time in eliminating the "blueing" and other stuff.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta7KvVBfUYw
      I can't get youtube here, this is the stuff. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tchlink:top:en

sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
        Here is a pic of my '79 GS1000E. I replaced the exhaust because they were rusty and looked pretty bad. The exhaust I got stayed in the box I received it in for a very long time before I put them on, didn't even open it, the reason? all the horror stories I saw on GSR about snapping header bolts, and I didn't want to have to deal with that until such time I was willing to take the chance. But all the worry was for not. Even though my bike was a train wreck when I got it, those header bolts broke free with so little effort and unscrewed like they were just freshly greased. I couldn't believe my luck!
        My lil GS1000E

But for sure this bike looks stunning! Perfection!
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
          But for sure this bike looks stunning! Perfection!
          Isn't it amazing what money can do? It was a trainwreck when I got it. It had gone down the road on it's side for a long distance before I got it. I know that because the case saver is ground down halfway through it's diameter. Who knows, someone might've gotten hurt or killed on it. Handle bar broken and welded back together, dented the tank, bent the front peg, ground down the pipe, scrapped the seat bar and tore the seat. Must've took out the rear turn signal as they put a generic one on it. Those fog lights didn't work and were spliced in with "aluminum" tape. The left shock strut post was sheared at the nut and it and the nut was superglued on. The tires were cracking, those highway bars were bolted to the frame (and dented it) and sitting on top of my pipes. There was a birds nest where my took kit goes. Sometimes it ran on 4 cylinders, sometimes 3 and sometimes 2. Oh, the list goes on and on. Seat underpan missing a section and lift bar.
          I didn't posts pics of this bike when I first got it. For one I didn't know how, and the other reason was it was so bad I didn't want anyone to see it.
          But here's a few.

sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

For sure it looks a whole lot better now, maybe we should have a before and after thread?
            sigpic

Comment

After seeing Sedelen's picks, I am definitely having some "pipe envy" (not that there is anything wrong with that...)

My bike looks nearly identical, and it is in the same shape. An older oil leak made my pipes more than blue, along with the clamps. They have a brown, almost rusty hue mixed in with the bluing. Again, mostly the inboard ones, and not a disaster, but on an otherwise very clean bike it bothers me.
              I just called bike bandit they actually have the pipes and the clamps in stock. Turn around is only 10 days. I might have the dealer give this a go during the winter storage. No way that I am set up to do it myself.
              1979 GS 1000e
              1967 Triumph Bonneville
              1986 Honda VFR 750
              2014 Indian Vintage
              2015 KLR 650
              2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
              2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
              2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
              And so on...

sigpic

Comment

Bolts out tricks.

Here's my bolts out tricks. They had been in for 25 years I am guessing and the bike had been left outside in the UK for 10 years.

http://suzukigs1100.blogspot.co.uk/2...ut-day-55.html

Just take your time. Only get a flamethrower as a very last resort.

Greetings
                Richard
                sigpic
                GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I use an impact wrench to get the exhaust bolts out. Mine can take a socket on the end. I take my time getting them out. Once removed, I replace the bolts with studs available from Napa for 13 dollars. You get 10 bolts in a set with nuts. The studs are a better idea, makes it easier to hang the pipes on when installing and you won't have this problem again.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                  X