Chopping Gas Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chopping Gas Tank

I wanted to know if anyone had experiance cutting into the gas tank of a GS850 and chopping it down about an inch to give it a lower profile

Go for it

I dont have any specific experience with this mod, but its really refreshing to hear of another gs'er who isn't afraid of some outside the box fab work. Too many people on here are quick to shun you if you stray from oem suzuki parts and design. Give 'er hell!

Let us see how it comes out

Comment

Originally posted by wompin View Post
      Too many people on here are quick to shun you if you stray from oem suzuki parts and design. Give 'er hell!

I have only seen this in the case of terrible hack jobs. Decent custom stuff is great, most of the members here like them. Ruin a skunk to make an unrideable POS and you will hear about it.

There have been several threads about re shaping gas tanks, cutting them open and rewelding them to increase capacity, or change the overall shape. Do a search, they are there somewhere.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Do you have the standard "G" tank or the "L" tank?

The G tank might look a bit funny if you shorten it, the L tank might be a good substitute, and might not need any modification, other than forward mounts.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Do you have the standard "G" tank or the "L" tank?

The G tank might look a bit funny if you shorten it, the L tank might be a good substitute, and might not need any modification, other than forward mounts.

I have the standard G. I wanted to get something with sharp angles and lower profile. The tank was a bit dinged up and i made it worse playing around with knee dents and such. I was hoping to cut the bottom off and pop out the dents, cut off an inch and weld it back togehter. I wasnt sure if it was double walled and wouldnt seal properally. I might get a new tank anyways so ill give it a go next time im at the garage and let you know

Comment

I dont have any specific experience with this mod, but its really refreshing to hear of another gs'er who isn't afraid of some outside the box fab work. Too many people on here are quick to shun you if you stray from oem suzuki parts and design. Give 'er hell!

Thanks wompin, Ill think ill have at her and let you konw how it turns out. Worst case, I will just have to buy a new, less dented tank. Worst, worst case i dont get all the fumes out of the tank and pop that thing cutting/welding in which case you will probably not hear from me

Comment

Hi,

You'll need some good fabrication skills, or know somebody. I love the big tank on my GS850. That 200 mile range comes in handy on long trips.

Just in case you missed it, you'll find lots of GS850 loving here: New Members, CLICK HERE!!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wherever you go there will be purists, middle ground folk, and anarchists...

-Anarchist
                So shoot me..
                -Mark
                Boston, MA
                Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                sigpic
                1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Many people have chopped tanks. Ryca does it for all their CS-1 kits, and check out this GS1000:

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                    Wherever you go there will be purists, middle ground folk, and anarchists...
                    -Anarchist
                    So shoot me..
                    BANG!
                    Feel better?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      BANG!
                      Feel better?
                      LOL thanks!
                      -Mark
                      Boston, MA
                      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                      sigpic
                      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

I have a spare 850G tank that has a small hole in the lower part of the left side.

Well, I think it's a hole. When I bought the bike, I saw a bubble in the paint.
                        When I pushed on it, it squished in, then came back out.
                        Yes, there was gas in the tank, it was only being held in with the paint.

Other than draining out the gas, nothing has been done to the tank. Let me know if you might want it.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I have a spare 850G tank that has a small hole in the lower part of the left side.

Well, I think it's a hole. When I bought the bike, I saw a bubble in the paint.
                          When I pushed on it, it squished in, then came back out.
                          Yes, there was gas in the tank, it was only being held in with the paint.

Other than draining out the gas, nothing has been done to the tank. Let me know if you might want it.

What type paint was that?
                          I want some.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            What type paint was that?
                            I want some.
                            Factory.

'81 850G.

OK, I will have to back up a bit and say "I think it was gas."
                            Whatever the fluid was that I took out sure smelled like fouled gas, but could have been just about anything.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Problem with many of the radical customs is fabricators are arrogant SOB's that run open pipes. I have no idea why these people feel it's their right to annoy innocent people with their noise.
                              Last edited by Nessism; 12-20-2012, 12:38 PM.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X