Gas Resistant RTV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Resistant RTV?

Does anyone know which RTV is best suited for sealing for gasoline applications ie being in contact with gasoline? I recently tried Blue RTV and it swelled up . . .
    Last edited by srsupertrap; 12-24-2012, 02:24 PM.
    Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
    Does anyone know which RTV is best suited for sealing for gasoline applications ie being in contact with gasoline? I recently tried Blue RTV and it swelled up . . .
    Pingle petcocks come with : Hylomar

also looks like something called Seal All but have never used it.

Comment

Ain't no such thing -- RTV and gas just can't get along.

As noted, Hylomar and Seal-all are about it. Neither quite have the useful properties of RTV, but perhaps you can make one work, depending on what you're up to. Seal-all gets brittle, and Hylomar does not harden.

As an aside, the solvent-based Hylomar you can get now is nowhere near as useful as the old formula. They falsely claim on their web site that it is the same formula, but it most definitely is not.
      Last edited by bwringer; 12-24-2012, 03:08 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
        Does anyone know which RTV is best suited for sealing for gasoline applications
        Use a variation of Polysulfide. I use it nearly every day in the airplane world (fuel tanks, windows, pressurized bulkheads). The fuel tank sealer we use is PS890 for aviation and jet fuel but I dont know if it holds up to alcohol. Search around and im sure you'll find one for auto gas with alcohol.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks Guys . . . Merry Christmas
          Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

I highly disagree.
            You just gotta know what you're doing.

I applied it to float bowl leaks and petcock leaks.
            And it's been 3 years now....dry as the sahara.

Comment

Working...
            X