making my own baffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making my own baffle

i have a 1981 gs450l that has the mufflers hacked off. I am on a budget and dont have the cash to buy mufflers. i have seen where people have used washers to make a baffle or create back pressure, what about using a steel freeze plug and welding it in the pipe and then drilling holes in it? i have multiple different sizes of freeze plugs and was thinking i could make my own baffle to quiet it down and improve the bottom end. any opinions are greatly appreciated

Cut the ends off a wiffle ball bat.
    Go to your local Harley dealership and see if they will sell you a couple of stock cans that no one seems to want.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Harley dealer for "take off" mufflers is great. I bought a set off e-bay for $20.00 and they came without any scratches.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs450l View Post
        i have seen where people have used washers to make a baffle or create back pressure, ...
        "Backpressure" has nothing to do with it. All the washers will do is to limit the flow of gasses, which might possibly reduce the number of jet sizes you will need to change.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

would the freeze plugs work as baffles quiet it down any?

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs450l View Post
            would the freeze plugs work as baffles quiet it down any?
            It may make it louder
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It will make it slower, just like the Hairly mufflers do.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i have the freeze plugs and they fit the stock pipes nicely.i drilled a 7/8 in hole in the middle of them. i decided my nect step is going to be to use a 7/8 in o.d pipe and drill a bunch of holes in it. a friend at work is going to weld the pipe to the freeze plugs and then weld the homemade baffle in my stock pipes. total cost for this experiment is a 12 pack for his time. if it doesnt work it was worth a shot. my main goil is to quiet it down slightly.

Comment

wrap some baffle packing around the perforated tube, that will quieten it down.
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You can buy stainless perforated tubing online; I bought mine from cruisercustomizing.com. then make your own endcap out of sheetmetal and use muffler packing around the outside of the tube to get rid of the high frequencies and you have a fairly quiet, straight-through muffler. My homemade baffle in a Kerker 4-1 is quieter than my old mildly-rusted factory exhaust was.

Comment

Working...
                    X