Idle mixture screw O-ring needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle mixture screw O-ring needed

Like the title says, I'm in need of the o-ring that goes on the idle mixture screw. The problem I'm having is that its for a '77 RD400 and is no longer available. FWIW, I've been to NAPA, hardware stores, Yamaha dealerships (Parts guy there told me IF it was available the o-ring was $5.99) and several auto parts places. No one has a selection of o-rings that I could pick from. So, does anyone have any ideas where else I should try?
    I posted a similar question in the Brakes section looking for a dust boot for the rear master cylinder. As I explained there, I know I'm not looking for help with a GS but I'm posting here anyway because my experience with this board has proven that the members are incredibly resourceful (no pun intended) and extremely helpful. Especially when compared with every other board I've interacted with. We rock! LOL
    Anyway, I sure appreciate any advice I can get.
    Willie
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Same people - but check the o-ring is included.

And ask for a shipping discount!
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Thanks again Steve. I found the same kit after searching the link you posted in the Brakes section. I don't mind being called cheap for not wanting to spend over $30 (incl shipping) to get an o-ring. I'm tempted to go with the 50 cent option available at the hardware store. Problem with that one is that its the wrong material and wouldn't stand up to the gas. However, and this is my rationalizing skills speaking, I doubt it'd see enough gas to be a problem. And, even if it does breakdown, a) it'll probably swell, making for a better seal and b) for 50 cents a pop, I wouldn't mind replacing it every now and then. lol
      Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

try cycleorings.com Robert Barr is a member on here. he will sort you out
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks. You have a response to your response to my PM.
          Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Do you have a set of calipers? If so, measure the needle then go to McMaster Carr and look for an O-ring that will fit. O-rings are sized by ID and thickness. You want an ID about .5mm smaller than the part it installs on. Select the thickness based on how much space you need to fill in the carb. I have a section of O-rings so ping me if you figure out what size you need. I may have some.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

AWESOME!! Thanks alot! I'll measure it tomorrow (my calipers are at a friend's house) and PM you.
              Yet another example of why the members of this board are so friggin great.
              Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

I got my little o-rings from fastenall. There might be a store near you or look at McMaster car, they might also have them. IF there is not a fastenall near you I think you may be able to order them on their site. If you can find the size that would be the best way to find them on their sites. You will also have to order 50 but they are quite cheap.

Comment

There are a several shops that specialize in RDs. One of these should be able to sort you out, but you'll likely have to call or email.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks alot BW. Robert Barr responded to the PM I sent him last night. Doubts he has what I need but offered to look at what he's got if I give him the dimensions for the 0-ring I need. I just measured it and will PM him with them. I really appreciate the links you posted and will be checking them out.
                    Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Working...
                    X