Fuel screws correct!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel screws correct!!

I have just removed my carbs off my 1979 GS1000E and fitting new fuel screws. I purchased a set from Z1 Enterprises. Having fitted the screws, screwing in until resistance, when I look down the carb venturi they hardly stick out at all. So I am wondering when I set them to 1.5 turns out they will be be level with the venturi, can this be right??

Whether they stick out or not is irrelevant. What matters is whether the holes they cover are actually OPEN, then set them back the PROPER number of turns.

Why do you think they need to go 1.5 turns? The stock setting is about 3/4 turn. If you have pods and a pipe, you might go 1 full turn or just a little more, but seldom do you need them out 1.5 turns.

As a rule, your air screws (the ones on the sides of the carbs) will start out about double your fuel screw setting.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Steve, thank you for the reply my friend. Yep the GS is running bellmouths, dynojet stage 3 and a Vance Hines pipe. Will set at one turn out as you mention.

Comment

One turn out should work fine. You can then tune the pilot circuit in using the airscrews and you should have plenty of adjustment available for them.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Many thanks for the reply, have just ordered a colourtune as well to make sure optimum burn conditions

Comment

The tips never stick out very much at all, so all is normal. I posted in another thread about the colourtunes, when you start playing with it don't just look for the colour change but 'listen' to the arcing that occurs. It's easy to hear, and it's easy to see the arcing occurring in the colourtune. I tune my VM's that way, when you get a nice smooth arc sound she's pretty well tuned!
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks azr, looking forward to getting the colourtune kit through the post, and will do as mentioned

Comment

Working...
              X