No announcement yet.

750E airbox Battle Royale!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are you? One of us might be close enough to lend a hand.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

Here's one way to remove the engine....

This is the easy way to do it.I use an automotive floor jack, a short piece of 2 X 6 under the engine with short pieces of wood to level the engine and jack ...

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I see....

Yeah, I had watched that video before. I may be able to use my motorcycle jack and a piece of wood. I am in the San Francisco area, Hayward in the East Bay to be exact. So if a couple of you young, strapping yoots want to come over and do the job, well I'd be tickled pink to lend a hand, or I suppose I could sit and drink a beer and watch...
        Anyhoo, all this won't be for awhile. First I am rebuilding the brakes, cleaning and polishing the brackets, wheels, mounts etc, getting the fairing plastic welded, re-doing the forks THEN I,m going to pull the carbs for a complete rebuild and also I will adjust the valves.
        So, it will probably be spring before I get to this momentous occasion. I'll keep you all posted on my progress. If you hear, far away and very faintly, a sorrowful yowling, it will mean I tried it myself and dropped the motor on my foot.

Comment

remove these

from here

and you get to here

then using one of these

it goes back in

you can see all the pics here

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

and it's the only way I found that the airbox will come out, and or go back in

good luck

Comment

Unfortunately....

That would be nice back when I had my own garage, but I don't now so i have:
            A. No room for a hoist
            B. No hoist anyway
            C. No desire to buy or rent a hoist for one use
            D. Nobody to hep me...sniff sniff.
            I'll figger something out fellers. Don't let my whining fool you. I really AM as incompetent as I sound.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll start crying on the forum when I get to this stage.

Comment

It was the only way I figured out to be the easiest way, and by the way, the only thing I had that you don't is the room, borrowed the hoist, free of charge, and did it on my own, no one was around at the time, except the dog, but as you can see he was of no help either...LOL

Best of luck to you, I am sure you will come up with something...

Comment

Wait... Seriously??? All of that anguish for the airbox??? What is the difference between the '83 E, and the '83 T? I was to understand that they were basically the same frame, no?
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Gatekeeper,

By the way, I read all 130+ pages of your build. Loved it! You really did a nice job documenting your work and did an outstanding rebuild as well. My bike is on it's way too your house even as we speak....

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                    Wait... Seriously??? All of that anguish for the airbox??? What is the difference between the '83 E, and the '83 T? I was to understand that they were basically the same frame, no?
                    Not even close,83-750 E is third gen motor in a mono shock frame, 750T is big old heavy 2nd gen motor, in a conventional twin shock frame
                    Last edited by hjfisk; 01-04-2013, 03:06 PM.
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
                      By the way, I read all 130+ pages of your build. Loved it! You really did a nice job documenting your work and did an outstanding rebuild as well. My bike is on it's way too your house even as we speak....
                      Thanks.....

you better hurry with getting your bike here, the winter months are only so long, and then we get into riding season, and no wrenching then,,,,well we at least hope....

bring the beer, and we are good to go.....

Comment

Working...
                      X