Exhaust Pipes and Ceramic Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Pipes and Ceramic Coating

While dropping off my frame at the powdercoater today, I asked him about ceramic coating my pipes. He explained he doesn't do it anymore because it doesn't last for longer than 6 months no matter how he prepped the items or what brand he used. He said ceramic coating is nothing but a liquid spray.

For those of you who have had their pipes ceramic coating, how well have they lasted? Do you think this guy doesn't know what he's talking about or is there some truth to his statement?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Mine was coated in 1985 when the pipe was new. Pretty sure that is more than 6 months.

Comment

The guy is full of crap, many members here with good results

Comment

The V&H 4 into 1 on my KZ was done in 2009 and looks great. I don't know what that guy was feeding you but don't believe it. Here is a pic of the bike, both the header and the muffler were ceramic coated matte black.

Comment

Thanks guys; I think I'm going to get worried about his powdercoating skills then...I sure hope he does a good job.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Let's hope his powder coating skills have messed up his ceramic coating skills...

As I said on your other thread, mine's been done over a year now and there ain't nothin' wrong with it.

There's not a lot of difference between the header that was repaired and re-coated after the ding and the header with the original coat...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Jet-Hot ceramic coatings has two shops and a nice website. Look at their stuff.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

VHT spray paint has a ceramic additive... Perhaps that's what he means and 6months might be about right in your climate.

A good coat like Jet Hot should last many years if you don't scratch it.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

So I emailed another company in town about them doing my pipes and received this in response:

Hi Scott,
                  Cost to Armor Coat your exhaust would be $165.00. Our price includes all
                  prep work, coating them inside and out and then polishing them to a near
                  chrome finish. Have a terrific day!
                  Bill

Does that sound like a good quote for quality work or should I have been expecting more?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

The entire repair and re-coat of one header and the muffler was a bit over $270 here, and that would've included prep'ing them for the coating etc. as well.

Given how things are way more expensive here than there, I would think it sounds pretty fair...

sigpic

Comment

I paid $130 for mine but that was almost 4 yrs ago. The quote you got is reasonable considering they also polish it. Mine is done it matte black.

Comment

I neglected to mention the $270 included fitting and removal of the exhaust from the bike and repacking the muffler as well after the re-coat.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Pete and Al. I'll email them again to ask about the repacking since I didn't think about them having to take things apart to do the inside.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

+ 1 on the ceramic.

But it depends on what type they will end up using.

might just have been with bad luck with a certain spray.

Discover the ultimate destination for powder coating enthusiasts. Powder Buy The Pound offers a wide range of premium powder coating supplies and equipment, ensuring you achieve the best results for your projects.

I used the Chrome ceramic on mine and you can polish them like you can polish aluminum.
                            Stephen.
                            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                            GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
                            X