Attaching Pods to Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attaching Pods to Carbs

If this has been answered before, please post the link here. My search Fu is weak

I purchased APE pods for my '80 GS750 motor. Unlike my 77 motor, there are no ribs on the filter side of the carb to secure the pods. Worse the mouth of the carb is sloped so that when you tighten the clamp the pod squeezes off.

I'm guessing this isn't new and the collective has a solution.

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
    If this has been answered before, please post the link here. My search Fu is weak

I purchased APE pods for my '80 GS750 motor. Unlike my 77 motor, there are no ribs on the filter side of the carb to secure the pods. Worse the mouth of the carb is sloped so that when you tighten the clamp the pod squeezes off.

I'm guessing this isn't new and the collective has a solution.
    You need to fabricate a brace to hold up the carbs. With out the stock air box set up, there is nothing to support the carbs.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      You need to fabricate a brace to hold up the carbs. With out the stock air box set up, there is nothing to support the carbs.
      that is not his problem, the problem he has is keeping the pods secured on to the carbs. i do not know the solution but there must be somebody on here that has had the same problem and overcome it somehow.
      they will be along soon to answer your dilemma........
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The usual 'solution' is to keep the stock aribox, but I know that is not possible with your setup.

I have not noticed any "slope" to the edge of the carb mouths, and I have not heard of this problem before. Do you have the stock BS32SS carbs?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Got pics?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I had that problem. You have to make sure the clamps on the PODS are over the metal of the intakes of the carbs. If you are tightening the clamps down on rubber that is not supported on metal, the rubber will flex and just keep squirting off. I probably didn't describe that very well. Seat the rubber fully on the metal carb intakes and make sure your clamp is slid (some tense of the verb slide?) fully forward towards the carbs. You have to keep checking and be sure you clamp is not angled off kilter. I have an airbox now.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Hi,

And make sure the surfaces are very clean. If there is any oil the pods will slide right off as you tighten.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks everybody - I'll roughen up the carb surfaces with sandpaper and triple check the rubber is clean. Might also add a dab of contact cement.

and ya, these are stock BS32SS carbs (now rebuilt and rejetted).

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
                  thanks everybody - I'll roughen up the carb surfaces with sandpaper and triple check the rubber is clean. Might also add a dab of contact cement.

and ya, these are stock BS32SS carbs (now rebuilt and rejetted).
                  just curious what size jets did you put in?

Comment

the larger of the stage 3 jets (a 130 I believe). This rig has a very custom 4-into-1 header and I won't finalize jetting until I get the bike back together and tested. Right now I'm doing all my prep work in the stock bike and then will move the motor to the sidecar and finalize jetting at the race track during test days.

The header goes across the front of the chair and exits just in front of the hack wheel.

Comment

Turns out the sides of the carb mouth are indeed parallel.

So I followed the excellent advice from BassCliff and thoroughly cleaned the rubber inside surface to the pod. I filed off the ridges on the carbs from the casting mold and then sanded the exterior of the carb mouth to get a nice rough surface.

and Voila!

next step is to put them back here and get them reasonably adjusted so I can safely run the motor whilst plumbing for the external oil cooler.

btw, here's the donor bike that I'll be parting out this spring.

before you ask, that coffin looking thing in the background is my home-made beer cooler. Seems appropriate, no?
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Are you aware how rare your donor bike is?
                        That is a 1980 GS750L with a 16 valve engine and chain drive. One year model with the much faster 16 valve engine. Just thought you might want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          Are you aware how rare your donor bike is?
                          That is a 1980 GS750L with a 16 valve engine and chain drive. One year model with the much faster 16 valve engine. Just thought you might want to know.
                          Make me an offer and it is yours! Otherwise it is a replacement motor for my racing sidecar.

btw, I'm coming to Indy for the dealer show and visit with family. I'll even deliver!

Comment

Working...
                          X