Carb Jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Jetting

I just bought a 1983 GS1100G with a stock engine, V&H 4 into 1 pipes and a K&N filter in the stock airbox. What would be the best jetting for this bike?

Probably 2 or 3 sizes larger than stock, and the needles shimmed a bit, too.

Out of curiosity, where is "Helotes, YX"?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!!

Hi Mr. retcol,

If you are still using the stock airbox, a Stage 1 jetkit from Dynojet will take a lot of the guesswork out of tuning your carbs. It comes with slotted needles which are a little easier to adjust rather than using shims. Or, like Mr. Steve says, you can do it manually and save the money (jet kits are not cheap). You'll find some carb tuning information on my little website.

Now let me give you the S.W.A.G.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Steve and BassCliff. I looked at Dyna kits, but they are very expensive indeed. Helotes, TX is northwest of San Antonio in the foothills of the Texas hill country. Great riding in the hill country, almost year around too. Thanks for the ton of info, I need all I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by retcol View Post
          Helotes, TX is northwest of San Antonio...
          Helotes, TX I understand, but your location in your profile says "Helotes, YX".

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

a "Y" is just a "T" with its arms up...
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic
            1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Fat fingers to blame, it is a T for Texas.
              I ordered 120 mains and 45 oilots from Z1 Enterprises, that should work OK, I hope.

Comment

The 120s will work if your exhaust is not real free-flowing. If, however, it is rather free-flowing (read that as "loud"), you might need 122.5 or even 125 mains.

Stock pilots are 40. If you were to install a big-bore kit, port the heads, install larger valves and some radical cams, you might need to go to 42.5 pilots. I think your 45s are going to be too large for a stock engine on the street.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Darn it, I almost ordered 42.5 jets, but bought the 45's instead. I'll go back and order 4 42.5 jets. I might as well get 4 122.5 jets also. They don't cost that much from Z1 Enterprises. Thanks Steve.

Comment

No. Keep your stock pilot jets. Do not order any pilot jets at all, you do not need them.

Comment

OK, let me go back and re-phrase that:
                      Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Stock pilots are 40. If you were to install a big-bore kit, port the heads, install larger valves and some radical cams, you MIGHT need to go to 42.5 pilots. I think your 45s are going to be too large for a stock engine on the street.
                      Since you have not done any of those mods, even the 42.5 jets will not be necessary.

If you really feel the need to order some jets, consider getting the 122.5 and 125 mains, so you have them on-hand, in case they are necessary.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks all, I appreciate your help and support. I'm new to Suzuki's and Mikuni carbs, but I'm learning. The Mikuni's are alot easier to remove and disassemble than the Honda Keihins, at least for me thet are. I'm looking forward to this restoration and more important, riding the bike.

Comment

Working...
                        X