Removing Bluing from Exhaust Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Bluing from Exhaust Pipes

I've searched every where for a way to remove the bluing from my exhaust pipes. I've read that Blue Off or Blue Away or vinegar on aluminum foil and several other remedies. Does anybody have a method and or product that has really worked and removed the bluing? Thanks.

Its called BLUE JOB and its one of the best out there.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I've used Blue Job,
      Watch actual removal of Motorcycle chrome exhaust pipe rust, blueing, boot rubber marks, burnt on plastic bag.

No 1 & 3 were pretty blued, check it out.

After Blue Job, you couldn't see cyl 1 in the above photo but it was just as blue as no 3 was which you can see. This is an after photo. But..... make sure you wash it off after you use it, any residue left will turn it black or make funny designs then you'll be using Turtle Wax chrome polish to get that off (ask me how I know). It takes time if you do it the finger with rag rubbing style like I did, and use the least you can get away with.
      Below, after "Blue Job" also whatever made those pipes blue will cause it again if you don't correct it, my case, lean carb settings.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

+1 on Blue Job. Great stuff but you need to be patient and take the time to do it right. Did mine 3 years ago, and after proper carb work...they were way too lean from previous owner...haven't had to touch them.
        sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
        1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
        1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
        1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
        1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
        1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
        1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
        1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          I've used Blue Job,
          Watch actual removal of Motorcycle chrome exhaust pipe rust, blueing, boot rubber marks, burnt on plastic bag.

No 1 & 3 were pretty blued, check it out.

After Blue Job, you couldn't see cyl 1 in the above photo but it was just as blue as no 3 was which you can see. This is an after photo. But..... make sure you wash it off after you use it, any residue left will turn it black or make funny designs then you'll be using Turtle Wax chrome polish to get that off (ask me how I know). It takes time if you do it the finger with rag rubbing style like I did, and use the least you can get away with.
          Below, after "Blue Job" also whatever made those pipes blue will cause it again if you don't correct it, my case, lean carb settings.
          Nice bike!
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Something very wrong happened to that V&H on the 1100G. I've never seen pipes so blue before. Hope the engine isn't cooked now.

Regarding Steve's 1100E, blue pipes like that are the result of excessive idling, or running without airflow over the engine. I bought an 850 with gummed up carbs and the pipes looked like that. The original owner let the bike idle in the driveway in an attempt to clean out crap in the carbs and the pipes were damaged in the process. On that bike there was nothing I could do to remove the blue. Spent at least an hour trying to polish them with only minimal improvement.

Oh, and stay away from aluminum foil on chrome unless you don't mind scratches.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

No green dish scrubbies or anything like that either..ruined in the first swipe.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Happich Simichrome Polish is used by professionals world wide. Simichrome Metal Polish is excellent for aluminum, chrome, and other metal surfaces.

this and a tube sock work well.
                DO not use aluminum foil it will scratch your pipes in spite of what people say.

At last an elegant use for tube socks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Something very wrong happened to that V&H on the 1100G. I've never seen pipes so blue before. Hope the engine isn't cooked now.

Regarding Steve's 1100E, blue pipes like that are the result of excessive idling, or running without airflow over the engine. I bought an 850 with gummed up carbs and the pipes looked like that. The original owner let the bike idle in the driveway in an attempt to clean out crap in the carbs and the pipes were damaged in the process. On that bike there was nothing I could do to remove the blue. Spent at least an hour trying to polish them with only minimal improvement.

Oh, and stay away from aluminum foil on chrome unless you don't mind scratches.
                  I think, and I say think the blue pipes resulted from some very lean carb settings, a air cleaner cover that was mesh when it should've been solid, (I thought it was stock for the longest time) and who knows what else, as I am the 4th owner. I did put a different set of carbs rebuilt by Chef on it. Those two cylinders still run hotter than the other two. The valves have been checked and found all within spec's.

I must tell my friend about the aluminum foil scratching, as he says it works really well on polishing the chrome on his bike, (he has a Harley).
                  sigpic
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    http://www.simichrome-polish.com/

this and a tube sock work well.
                    DO not use aluminum foil it will scratch your pipes in spite of what people say.

At last an elegant use for tube socks.
                    I haven't seen simichrome polish in a long time, I used it exclusively in the '70's. Really good stuff.
                    sigpic
                    Steve

Comment

solvol autosol is good for light bluing but not really heavy bluing
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

There's a local bike shop called bigtoy that I used to work at that carries simichrome. They swear by it, and yes it is good stuff.

Comment

Many thanks for all who replied to my question, thank you. I used Semichrome alot back in the day, but I haven't seen it on the store shelves in years. Thanks for the link to orderit on line, which I did today. I also tried Blue Job, but I guess I wasn't patient enough, I'll try it again. The PO had the bike running extremely lean. I bought it with a bad starter, so I don't know if the motor is toast or not. I hope not. It turns over by hand and seems to have compression. I have the starter apart for rebuild. I also have the carbs apart for rebuild. Funny thing, they were missing the slide springs! I didn't think a bike would run with no slide springs installed, but he claims (as all PO's do) it ran good until the started went on the blitz. I'm guess he screwed up the carbs and burnt up the starter motor trying to start it, but he denies that, of course. I love the red paint jobs, thinking of repainting mine in red. I'm not too crazy about orange. Thanks again for all the suggestions and information. This is a great forum and I'm so glad I joined it.

Comment

Some carbs do not use the springs. Check the parts fiche for your bike, it may not use them.

Comment

Thanks so much koolaid kid, but I already checked the fiche and these do use springs, at $10 each from Suzuki! I called the PO and he said he "found" the springs in his toolbox and he must have "forgotten" to install them when he cleaned the carbs. He is mailing them to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X