Removing Bluing from Exhaust Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"found" forgot"
    Gotta love it. At least he has the integrity to fess up and send them to you.

Comment

Absolutely, a nice young man indeed, but not much of a bike mechanic!

Comment

Keep in mind that if you remove the pipes to REALLY clean them well, if you spray "High Heat" header paint INSIDE the pipes where they first come out of the head, they will keep from re-bluing for a lot longer. Ray.

Comment

Really? Thats good to know, thanks. I discovered something by accident. I was polishing my engine cover when I decided to try the metal polish on the blued muffler just for fun. I was using a 4" polishing wheel on a hand drill with red rogue. The blue started coming off! I had to use alot of material and go over it several times, but most of the dark bluing came out! See attached pic. Now I'll see if it stays off or comes back.

Comment

As long as you tune your engine correctly you shouldn't have much of an issue.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
              I haven't seen simichrome polish in a long time, I used it exclusively in the '70's. Really good stuff.

Apparently it's also used to test for genuine 'Bakelite', a little bit on a q-tip will turn yellow when rubbed against bakelite but not plastic. Who knew ?

Comment

Hopefully I'll get the bike in tune properly and it won't blue again. Since I have a stock motor with V&H 4 into 1 exhaust and a K&N filter in the stock air box, I'm going to start with 122.5 main jets and 40 pilot jets and see what happens.

Comment

The headers came out pretty good considering how pitted they were. The engine cases came out really good.

Comment

Working...
                  X