Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Exhaust on GS450

Hey guys,

I'm looking to change out the exhaust on my GS450L. It currently has a 2-1 exhaust but I'm kind of partial to the stock look. Any reason to keep the 2-1? Also, what's a good website to pick up some new pipes or place to go in the Philadelphia region to get some bent? I heard MACs sound like crap so if anyone feels different let me know.

Last bit, will I need to rejet after doing this?

Thanks!

I think the biggest difference is weight. Stock is heavier.

What 2-1's have you got currently? I might be interested in trading a stock set-up for what's on yours?

Comment

I'm not sure actually, PO put is set on and they're open pipes. Sound pretty good but truthfully I don't know what the condition is under the tape. When I take them off ill let you know.

I like the look of the stocks but maybe cut a bit shorter.

Comment

Add a few pictures if you get the chance?

I have been planning on chopping the mufflers off of my stock pipes and replacing them with some shorter reverse cones.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffasaurus2 View Post
          Add a few pictures if you get the chance?

I have been planning on chopping the mufflers off of my stock pipes and replacing them with some shorter reverse cones.
          Will do, probably have more pictures up by Friday. Only one I have now is my avatar. Happen to know a good aftermarket set to replace them with?

Comment

Aftermarket set of cones? Or full exhaust?

I was looking at the cones on Dime City Cycles, right around $50 a piece. If you're looking for the full exhaust I don't know of any (Doesn't mean they don't exist) company that makes new 'stock' exhaust for our bikes. For 2-1 most are the MAC brand ones that are readily available, I've also heard that they sound awfully 'tinny', luckily you can easily remove the muffler and replace or repack.

If you're super lucky you could come across a Kerker 2-1 for our 450's, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7nEn39MFmU this one. Sounds super good to me. Though I don't think they're made anymore, or easy to come across.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffasaurus2 View Post
              Aftermarket set of cones? Or full exhaust?

I was looking at the cones on Dime City Cycles, right around $50 a piece. If you're looking for the full exhaust I don't know of any (Doesn't mean they don't exist) company that makes new 'stock' exhaust for our bikes. For 2-1 most are the MAC brand ones that are readily available, I've also heard that they sound awfully 'tinny', luckily you can easily remove the muffler and replace or repack.

If you're super lucky you could come across a Kerker 2-1 for our 450's, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7nEn39MFmU this one. Sounds super good to me. Though I don't think they're made anymore, or easy to come across.
              I'm really looking for a full exhaust system to swap out on. I'll take a look around for those Kerker's, sounded awesome, and another look at the MAC's. When I take mine off this Friday I'll post up pictures of it so you can take a look, I would be interested in a trade.

Comment

Sounds good. Look forward to the pictures.

Comment

didn't Kerker get bought by another company?

Comment

Apparently so, from Google it seems that SuperTrapp now owns Kerker.

Comment

I have a 1985 Kerker on my GPz. When the silencer is packed, it sounds awesome. Throaty, but not too loud. And I am not usually a fan of aftermarket exhausts.
                      New ones, IDK.

Comment

Yeah, I dont think you can buy a 'new' Kerker (Supertrapp) brand 2-1 for the 450. From the comments of the video I posted above it seems that his father had that exhaust from when he had raced the bike.

Comment

According to an earlier post of Dennis' (the PO of PhillyCafe's bike), it's already got a MAC 2 into 1 on it minus baffles...

Originally posted by djg42 View Post
                          Im running it with velocity stacks and 2 into 1 MAC exhaust with no baffles, and its fast as heck!

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                            According to an earlier post of Dennis' (the PO of PhillyCafe's bike), it's already got a MAC 2 into 1 on it minus baffles...
                            Pete, thanks for digging that up! I've been rooting through the old posts as I go and this was a post I had not come across. Unfortunately, the bike didn't have the velocity stacks when I bought it but I feel like its something I can do if I feel the urge to.

I didn't seem to think that the bike had MACs only because of its exhaust note, very throaty and nothing "tinny" but that must be from removing the baffles.

I still need to change oil pan gasket so I'll remove the exhaust then and take a look at it's condition under the tape. Once I know that then I'll make up my mind if I want to keep them or go with something else!

Comment

No worries mate, see how you go.
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                              X