Carburettor Cleaner/ dips or alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburettor Cleaner/ dips or alternative

Carb Dip or Cleaner... What do you use and What are some alternatives that work like the Dip used to in the can?? MEK, acetone??? What do you use? I cant buy the dips here in NEW ZEALAND cause we are all green and crap!! I used to get that stuff in america that used to eat it back to bare metal! it was amazing stuff! Im lazy and dont want to scrub! give me a dip Idea i can use!!! Thanks heaps

I used to dip them but absolutely LOVE my ultrasonic cleaner! NOTHING I used before works as well. Ray.

Comment

Do youn have a Yamaha dealer there? Gets some Yamaha carb dip from them..about the same as Berrymans is.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        I used to dip them but absolutely LOVE my ultrasonic cleaner! NOTHING I used before works as well. Ray.
        How does the ultra sonic cleaner work??? Can you make your own they look expensive!

Comment

Seek and Ye shall find.

Comment

Tape 2 or 3 electric razor motors to a can of carb dip to vibrate it and youve got about the same thing.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Tape 2 or 3 electric razor motors to a can of carb dip to vibrate it and youve got about the same thing.
              Nice one... I saw some bozo on youtube telling everyone he made an ultrasonic cleaner with a black and decker sander and rubbermaid tote all bungeed together... I dont see how a sander could make 400khz frequency.

Saying that though not a bad call on the carb dip and razors... Only tging is no carb dips in new zealand that I can find.. They dont even know what im talking about.. But tgats what you get with boyracers that work at yhe parts counter.!!!!

Comment

Maybe I'll put the dip bucket on my out of balance shaky old garage fan.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If I could tape it to my kids id for sure have it go ultrasonic....

Comment

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Maybe this will help, maybe not. I saved this a while back, don't remember the source. No warranties implied, use at your own risk.

Make your own carb cleaner

1. = Parts gasoline
                      1. = Parts diesel / kerosene
                      1. = Part MEK or Acetone
                      .5 = Parts auto trans fluid

Keep in sealed metal container when not in use.

WARNING:
                      Keep rags with this mixture on THEM out in the open air or in a ventilated metal container.
                      EXTREMELY COSTIC AND FLAMMABLE!!!

This mixture will melt most gunky deposits as good and as and as fast as carb cleaner.

Note: cold parts cleaner you buy in gallon cans is EXTREMELY CAUSTIC TO THE NERVOUS SYSTEM, AND CAN CAUSE SHOCK!
                      It also can eat aluminium
                      Source(s):
                      30 + Years Master Tech, and carb expert.

Here is another recipe that WORKS.

90% kerosine (diesel will work too but it's smelly) and 10% Methyl Cloride paint thinner from a hardware store. Methyl Cloride is the active ingredient in commercial carb cleaner. Use the highest concentration paint thinner you can find - 990gm per liter Methyl Cloride (or what ever the USA equivalent is) if you can find it. Watered down paint thinner won't mix in the kero as well as the concentrated stuff.

Keep it in a metal tin (3lb coffee can or similar) with a tight lid and it will store for a long time and you can reuse it over and over (an overnight soak works best).

Paint thinner is bad on skin and eyes - use rubber gloves and don't breath the fumes.
                      The two best cleaners for carbs..one previously mentioned, are methylene chloride and MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) . By the way.,..they are/were the primary ingredients in a product you used to be able to buy....called "chem dip". It came in a gallon can with a built in parts basket...made just for carbs.....nasty stuff!
                      Also by the way...both chemicals cause liver damage, nervous system damage and are both carcinogens. In fact, MEK usage has been outlawed in 48 states for usage over 1 gallon at a time without permit and OSHA/EPA inspection......but you can buy quarts and gallons at home depot. Just be very careful with it.

You can simply add MEK with either xylene or 90% isopropyl alcohol to make a decent carb soak. The MEK does the work. The xylene simply raises the flash point so it does not just go screaming out of the can.

Comment

Trust me, there's a definite difference between a real ultrasonic cleaner and a bucket with your wife's vibrator strapped to it. It's called ULTRAsonic for a reason. Yeah, you can get results with a bunch of sanders strapped to a bucket, but not quite the same level as an ultrasonic cleaner. I used to use US cleaners all the time at work. Those things are worth their weight in gold.

Comment

I found that dawn dish washing liquid and hot water works pretty good for cleaning carbs. Put them in a pot of soap/water and let them simmer for a while, rinse with water and blow them out with compressed air. Everything comes out clean and it won't harm the rubber parts. Dawn works really well for degreasing parts also, I used it when I rebuilt my truck transmission to wash the case and the internal metal parts.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            +1 on that, cant beat them
                            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

So does anyone have a link to their favourite ultrasonic cleaner.
                              You see them on ebay for 250 or so but are they worth the money?

Comment

Working...
                              X