No announcement yet.

1982 GS1100GL - Looking for carb refurb kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks BassCliff - another great article, and my question answered!

Out of interest, where did you get your new carb boots from?

Thank you for indulging me,
    Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Argee View Post
      Out of interest, where did you get your new carb boots from?
      I usually buy most of my OEM parts from partshark.com. Between them and Z1Enterprises.com most of my needs are covered. The intake boots for my bike are not cheap, but I won't have to replace them for another 25 years or so.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Mission Accomplished! Thanks all!

A big 'thank you' to you all for your advice and recommendations.

I've just finished overhauling my carbs. It didn't take too long really - a few hours over 2 days.

I used the Cycleorings.com kit, with the extra fuel drain O-rings, the intake boot O-rings (mine were so flat that they didn't look anything like O-rings!!), and the intake boot stainless steel fasteners. I used the fuel bowl gaskets from Z1Enterprizes.com. I also picked up 32 stainless allen-key bolt (M5 x 16mm with split washers) to fit to the fuel bowls and the CV covers.

Ed Ness' and John Bloemer's guides were fantastic! Thanks guys!

The only dramas that I had were accidently dropping the air screw, washer and spring of my first carb into the carb dip outside of the basket, and having a struggle with a damaged air screw head on the last carb. I managed to extract it with the aid of WD40, heat from a hairdryer, and lots of hope. I carefully cut a new, deeper slot in it with a thin hacksaw blade.

I just went for my first ride of the year. Apart from being a bit chilly, it was great - the carb overhaul has made a huge difference!
        Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Comment

A photo for Cowboyup!
          Attached Files
          Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Comment

There was one other things that no one mentioned and that is the rubber bungs in one of the float bowl tubes. I'm sure you came across them. They should be nice a pliabe and be able to hold themselves in if you turn the carbs upside down. Loose ones will leak internally. Buy OEM or suffer this:

Greetings
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
            X